[OpenStack-Infra] Log storage/serving

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Thu Oct 10 20:25:02 UTC 2013

Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> writes:

> On 10/10/2013 02:06 PM, Clark Boylan wrote:
>
> 1c - I think I'm pretty sold on as well. However, on what clark is
> saying, if we put the metadata for a run that _would_ be used for an
> index into a swift object, then we could, if we ever wanted one, write
> a log index serving app. It would be full of expensive operations - but
> I think our need for it would be low. We could also write it later as
> needed.
>
>> If a pure swift solution isn't doable what about a simple transaction
>> log that is recorded on disk or in a DB? We wouldn't need to expose
>> this to everyone, but having a record that maps build info to log
>> objects would be handy especially if parsing it doesn't require access
>> to Gerrit comments or the Gerrit DB. (Though this may be of minimal
>> value as Gerrit does provide a simple map for us).

That sounds like a reasonable idea, though I don't know how to implement
it in swift -- we'd have hundreds of nodes all wanting to append to
something around the same time, and I'm not sure swift is designed for
that model.

However, at the very worst, we could probably have Zuul write that sort
of thing to a log file.  At least we'd have the data preserved.

-Jim