[OpenStack-Infra] Automation job for new API samples

Laura Alves laura.adq at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 03:01:46 UTC 2013

Hello, there!

I wanted to socialize with (and seek advice from) the Infra team about a
possible implementation that would help us a great deal with the APIs
documentation.

Currently, the API samples we use to document are the ones added by
developers to their respective repo doc folders (commonly
'repo'/doc/api_samples/'api_name'.   So what we're doing when documenting a
new API (or updating the samples of an existing one) is basically
downloading the new files and adding them to our commit, so then they are
merged to the API-site repo.  Certainly having the files copied from one
repo to another this way is a big part of the work, and not a super-fun one.

I'd like to find a way to automatize this as much as possible (is it
possible?), maybe integrating it to Jenkins.  I'm running then into some
questions you may be able to answer.  I looked into several Jenkins jobs
and while I think it's doable at "merging time", I'm not sure how we can do
this with the lots of new/updated samples already added by devs that await
to be documented and merged to the API site repo.

I thought of a Jenkins job + a git script, which would synch with a special
folder in the API site repo (though the size increment may not be fun), but
I'm not sure there's an optimal solution with this perspective.
Needless to say I'm a real noob with Jenkins and its powers, so your input,
expertise and corrections to any nonsense is highly appreciated.

I thought outlining this through email would be better to reach everyone
despite the time zones, but I'll be totally available to continue the
discussion in the infra channel (I won't be this sleepy, hopefully).

Thanks in advance!
Laura
(IRC >> ladquin)