[OpenStack-Infra] Setting up an Asterisk server

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Sun Jun 30 16:43:33 UTC 2013

Hi,

There seems to be more interest in having an Asterisk server for the use
of user group meetings, conference calls, and summit telepresence.

I'd like to get started setting one up, so this mail is to kick of a
discussion of how to do that.  I think we need:

1) To decide on a version of Asterisk and package source.
2) Acquire or develop some puppet scripts to manage it.
3) At least one VOIP provider.

I'm personally interested in using the WebRTC capabilities in newer
versions of Asterisk, which I'm afraid may mean using something other
than the version package in Ubuntu Precise (Version:
1:1.8.10.1~dfsg-1ubuntu1).  Does anyone have thoughts on what version to
run and where to get it?  We could run this on Ubuntu Precise or CentOS
6.

Jesse Keating sent us the old puppet scripts that the Fedora project
used to use.  They are likely to be somewhat outdated, but could be a
starting point.  Does anyone have something more recent we should start
with?

I contacted the Eclipse foundation and got a reference from them for a
couple of good VOIP providers -- when we get closer to having something
ready, I'll look into setting up an account.

Thanks,

Jim