[OpenStack-Infra] CI/Infra Bootcamp Signup

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Mon Jun 10 19:09:18 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:45 PM, James E. Blair <corvus at inaugust.com> wrote:
> Rainya Mosher <rainya.mosher at RACKSPACE.COM> writes:
>
>> hihi all and particularly Monty & Jim,
>>
>> Is this bootcamp planned to be a pure hackday-format for high-code
>> contributors or is it more about process and setting up "how tos" for
>> newbies to the organization? Or a combination? I am very curious about
>> what outputs we expect to see for those that can make it to NYC and those
>> that will not be able to attend. If it is "just" for hacking on code, that
>> is great, but anything that can be done can do in terms of documenting
>> processes and best practices and how to enter the Infra team would be
>> beneficial (in my opinion.)
>
> Hi!
>
> The goal is to get new core contributors to the infra team, long term.
> So it's not a typical sprint where we measure the success in code output
> -- we might write some code, but that's incidental.  This is more of a
> "boot camp".  Real success will be measured by whether, in 6 months,
> we've managed to grow the team of infrastructure core reviewers.
>
> We're an extremely active project but our ratio of core reviewers to
> changes is much smaller than other OpenStack projects.  Some of the
> stuff we do is rather complicated, and it's hard for new people to pick
> it all up, or even know where to start sometimes.  So we're going to
> invest some time in helping people who can commit serious time to the
> infrastructure team get up to speed so that they can start making
> significant contributions soon, both as contributors and reviewers, and
> hopefully become core team members in the future, or at least regular
> and substantial contributors.
>> -Jim

> You know we're trying to run the most open project infrastructure we
> can, and any contribution is always welcome.  However, at this
> particular event, we don't want to focus on enabling casual
> contributions.  We really want people who can at least work half-time on
> pure upstream OpenStack project needs.  That means working on things
> that affect the whole project, not just an employer's area of interest.
> People who can help maintain Gerrit, Zuul, Jenkins, Etherpad, IRC bots,
> Mailman, Logstash, Devstack-gate, etc.  I believe that kind of broad
> focus is needed to become a core member of the infrastructure team.
>
> I hope that helps you understand what we want to accomplish at this
> event.
>
> As another part of this effort, I have recently restructured the
> infrastructure documentation:
>
>   http://ci.openstack.org/
>
> Its focus is now to help new contributors (both casual and long-term) to
> any of the infrastructure sub-projects.  It describes the operation of
> the project and team, how to make and test changes, and gives an
> overview with resources for each of the major systems we manage.  It's
> _far_ from complete, but I hope the course is now set and we can
> continue on that heading.

I'm considering going but need a clear up a few things.  When is the
latest you'd need to know?  NY is an 8 hour drive for me, so that is
not a issue.  Basically need to spend a few hours looking for a hotel.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)