[OpenStack-Infra] CI/Infra Bootcamp Signup

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Mon Jun 10 17:45:39 UTC 2013

Rainya Mosher <rainya.mosher at RACKSPACE.COM> writes:

> hihi all and particularly Monty & Jim,
>
> Is this bootcamp planned to be a pure hackday-format for high-code
> contributors or is it more about process and setting up "how tos" for
> newbies to the organization? Or a combination? I am very curious about
> what outputs we expect to see for those that can make it to NYC and those
> that will not be able to attend. If it is "just" for hacking on code, that
> is great, but anything that can be done can do in terms of documenting
> processes and best practices and how to enter the Infra team would be
> beneficial (in my opinion.)

Hi!

The goal is to get new core contributors to the infra team, long term.
So it's not a typical sprint where we measure the success in code output
-- we might write some code, but that's incidental.  This is more of a
"boot camp".  Real success will be measured by whether, in 6 months,
we've managed to grow the team of infrastructure core reviewers.

We're an extremely active project but our ratio of core reviewers to
changes is much smaller than other OpenStack projects.  Some of the
stuff we do is rather complicated, and it's hard for new people to pick
it all up, or even know where to start sometimes.  So we're going to
invest some time in helping people who can commit serious time to the
infrastructure team get up to speed so that they can start making
significant contributions soon, both as contributors and reviewers, and
hopefully become core team members in the future, or at least regular
and substantial contributors.

You know we're trying to run the most open project infrastructure we
can, and any contribution is always welcome.  However, at this
particular event, we don't want to focus on enabling casual
contributions.  We really want people who can at least work half-time on
pure upstream OpenStack project needs.  That means working on things
that affect the whole project, not just an employer's area of interest.
People who can help maintain Gerrit, Zuul, Jenkins, Etherpad, IRC bots,
Mailman, Logstash, Devstack-gate, etc.  I believe that kind of broad
focus is needed to become a core member of the infrastructure team.

I hope that helps you understand what we want to accomplish at this
event.

As another part of this effort, I have recently restructured the
infrastructure documentation:

  http://ci.openstack.org/

Its focus is now to help new contributors (both casual and long-term) to
any of the infrastructure sub-projects.  It describes the operation of
the project and team, how to make and test changes, and gives an
overview with resources for each of the major systems we manage.  It's
_far_ from complete, but I hope the course is now set and we can
continue on that heading.

-Jim