[OpenStack-Infra] Improving SSH support in git-review

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jan 23 21:17:25 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-19 23:38:19 +0000 (+0000), Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> I did some work to improve SSH integration in git-review tool
[...]

That's really awesome. I've not looked at the source yet, but from
your writeup I have a pretty good idea of what it's doing under the
hood already. Hopefully I'll get a chance to read through your code
and give it a try later this week. Thanks!

> If you think this is a good idea, I can work on putting this code
> into git-review. Basically all SSH invocations will be done via
> this code and "set_hooks_commit_msg" will be greatly simplified.
[...]

Clark and I discussed this a bit in IRC earlier this week. Really,
retrieving the commit hook is the only place SCP is needed in
git-review. It seems like it might be saner to find ways to just get
rid of that mechanism entirely--maybe distribute a basic commit hook
embedded within a string constant which can be dumped into .git
automatically, and then implement an optional hook URL in .gitreview
processing so that Gerrit admins (and even individual project
admins) can override the default hook with one distributed via
HTTP(S) or even contained within the Git repository itself. Does
that make sense to anyone else?

> There are few mostly cosmeting changes awaiting review in Gerrit:
[...]

Hopefully that list is whittled down substantially since the several
we merged today. I'll see about getting the new release tagged and
built later this week if there are no objections.
--
{ PGP( 48F9961143495829 ); FINGER( fungi at cthulhu.yuggoth.org );
WWW( http://fungi.yuggoth.org/ ); IRC( fungi at irc.yuggoth.org#ccl );