[OpenStack-Infra] Branch names for (historical) publications

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Mon Dec 30 19:20:36 UTC 2013

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph <lyz at princessleia.com> writes:

> If you rewind the publications repository back to commit
> 7eaa6ddf356ea00b4d798d6581000a42e063b531 you will get to the last
> change before our "delete everything" change and will see a bunch of
> directories, as you can see in the etherpad we split these off into
> two categories:
>
> 1. New distinct talks -> new branch in openstack-infra/publications
>       growing-openstack
>       puppetconf
>       tutorial
>       ci-roadmap-folsom
>       lca2013-distros
>       uds-p-launchpad
>       lca2013-bare-metal merge uds-p-qa into baremetal?

So the theory is that there are 'living documents' (the branches), and
snapshots of talks previously given.  Most of the time the snapshots
should be of branches (living documents), but I don't think they
necessarily always have to be, especially for these talks from the past.

So rather than carrying branches for 'dead documents', which some of
these surely are, or trying to create a sort of revisionist branch
history (many of them were based on earlier ones, so it's certainly
possible and reflects what really happened, but it's still probably not
very productive work), I propose the following:

We create a commit for each of those directories (based on 7eaa6dd) that
is compatible with our current system (eg, put it at the top level), and
then tag that commit.  We don't even really need to create branches for
them.  We can even push those commits up for review for comment, but
then not merge them.

I propose the following tag names (which is pretty close to the actual
question you asked):

  growing-openstack
  puppetconf
  tutorial
  ci-roadmap-folsom
  lca2013-distros
  uds-p-launchpad
  lca2013-bare-metal merge  into baremetal?

2011-uds_
2011-uds_p-qa

  ci-roadmap-folsom:
    tag: 2012-ods_f-ci_roadmap_folsom
    title: "OpenStack Developer Summit, Folsom, 2012: CI and Developer Infrastructure Roadmap for Folsom"
  cloud-testing:
    tag: 2012-linuxcon_eu-cloud-testing
    title: "LinuxCon Europe, 2012: OpenStack Continuous Integration Testing with Cloud Servers"
  growing-openstack:
    tag: 2012-linuxcon_eu-growing-openstack
    title: "LinuxCon Europe, 2012: Scaling an Open Source Community: How we Grew the OpenStack Project"
  jenkins:
    tag: 2012-jenkins-overview
    title: "Jenkins Conference New York, 2012: Scaling OpenStack Development with Git, Gerrit, and Jenkins"
  lca:
    tag: 2012-lca-overview
    title: "linux.conf.au 2012: Scaling OpenStack Development with Git, Gerrit, and Jenkins"
  lca2013-ci:
    tag: 2013-lca-ci
    title: "linux.conf.au 2013: OpenStack Project Continuous Integration"
  lca2013-distros:
    tag: 2013-lca-distros
    title: "linux.conf.au 2013: OpenStack and Linux Distros"
  lcb-bare-metal:
    tag: 2011-linuxcon_br-bare-metal
    title: "LinuxCon Brazil, 2011: Deploying OpenStack on Bare Metal"
  puppetconf:
    tag: 2012-puppetconf-puppet
    title: "PuppetConf, 2012: Collaboratively managing the OpenStack project with Puppet"
  uds-p-launchpad:
    tag: 2011-uds_p-launchpad
    title: "Ubuntu Developer Summit, Precise, 2011: How OpenStack Integrates Launchpad and Continuous Integration"
  uds-p-qa:
    tag: 2011-uds_p-qa:
    title: "Ubuntu Developer Summit, Precise, 2011: OpenStack Distributed QA"
  zuul:
    tag: 2013-lca-zuul
    title: "linux.conf.au 2013: Trunk Gating with Jenkins, Gerrit, and Zuul"

The "tutorial" folder should become a branch; it should also get tagged,
but I don't remember where Monty presented this.  At any rate, let's
branch it as "devstack-tutorial" for now.

How's that sound?

-Jim