[OpenStack-Infra] Week-end project

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Dec 13 10:03:56 UTC 2013

Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On 12/12/2013 05:43 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> One benefit of coming up with our own format is that we can seriously
>> limit the options (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly with or without rotating
>> time), which I think cover all our current cases... while remaining
>> user-friendly enough.
>
> There's gotta be a way to solve the problem with tools already proven.
> Like Sean said, dealing with calendars is absolutely a nightmare.
> There's gotta be a way to share access to a calendar server among
> different people and still keep control of who is allowed to change the
> meeting.

That's the trick. You want everyone to be able to change the calendar,
and have a minimal code review (like we do for openstack-planet) to
check that the addition/modification is sane. I don't know of any tool
that lets anyone propose a change to a calendar, but requires approval
from a review group before it appears.

> Wouldn't something like owncloud (or radicale.org) be enough, so we can
> ditch Google cal too? Simply have the PTLs, you, I and some others
> allowed to edit the calendar so we can have each event with alarms (no
> more reminders to the mlist) and notes attached to it automatically. Am
> I getting too excited?

Google Cal or ownCloud are not really the issue. Both can consume the
.ics file and let you add alarms to events. The trick is how you build
the calendar in the first place. None of them lets you have an
open-but-reviewed calendar.

"the PTLs, you, I and some others" are far from being the only ones
requesting changes to the official calendar. It's a VERY diverse group,
as you can see at
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Meetings&action=history ...
So I would much rather let everyone propose and have some way of
reviewing the change and then get the .ics autogenerated.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)