[OpenStack-Infra] Week-end project

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Dec 12 13:43:21 UTC 2013

Sean Dague wrote:
> Honestly, translating to ical recurrence relationships is going to be
> wonky enough (I used to maintain the ruby icalendar gem, and have done a
> bunch of fixing of the drupal implementation), I'd just say do this in
> ical native with a validator.
>
> ical is ugly, but it's mostly understandable (and I'd be happy to mentor
> on it). For the intents and purposes for this it would probably be fine.

Hmm. Not sure requiring anyone who wants to have a meeting to submit
properly-formatted iCal is going to be seen as a usability improvement
over "editing a wiki page". I fear the barrier to entry will be just too
high and people will start having untracked meetings announced on ML
posts instead.

I also don't really look forward reviewing ical changes, so I would
definitely leave that task to anyone who finds it funny.

One benefit of coming up with our own format is that we can seriously
limit the options (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly with or without rotating
time), which I think cover all our current cases... while remaining
user-friendly enough.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)