[OpenStack-Infra] Help wanted for Asterisk conference bridge testing

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Aug 16 00:20:26 UTC 2013

On 08/15/2013 07:02 PM, Paul Belanger wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 08/13/2013 05:35 PM, James E. Blair wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On Friday, August 16th at 1700 UTC, we'd like to get a bunch of people
>>> calling into the Asterisk conference bridge in order to help load test
>>> it.  You can find connection instructions here (for SIP and PSTN):
>>>
>>>   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Conferencing
>>>
>>> We'll use conference number 6000.  Please also join #openstack-infra on
>>> IRC so we can discuss the results and any problems out-of-band.
>>
>> Paul Belanger and/or I will set up something to generate extra calls at
>> the server to create load.  We can pretty easily have calls come in that
>> randomly inject a sound prompt here and there.
>>
> I have something setup for tomorrow if we needed it.

Cool.  I was going to work on something in the morning.

What were you thinking of doing?  I was thinking of originating a bunch
of calls via SIP with something like this on the call generating machine
(untested):

; Say a random number (1-1000) at a random time between 1 and 60 seconds
exten => foo,1,Answer()
    same => n,While(1)
    same => n,Wait(${RAND(1,60)})
    same => n,SayNumber(${RAND(1,1000)})
    same => n,EndWhile()

Basically, we want to simulate some people talking, sometimes at the
same time, but not often all at once.

There's actually a higher load on the conference the more people are
talking at the same time.  There's an optimization where it doesn't mix
in a person's audio stream if they are currently silent.  If we wanted
to load up the worst case (everyone talking over each other constantly),
we could have all the streams play something constantly (like just
comment out the Wait above).

--
Russell Bryant