[OpenStack-Infra] Polling system

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Aug 1 15:59:42 UTC 2013

Jaromir Coufal wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to start voting across UX group members about future
> discussion tool. For voting itself I can use some 3rd party tools or
> just mailing list, but I'd like to ask you, if you can suggest me the
> best way, since I am sure you already did some name voting or similar
> things for OpenStack. Only problem is that I won't have users' e-mails
> so I can't invite them directly. I can just share link and whoever comes
> to the page might vote.

We've been using Launchpad polls for insignificant things (all members
of a specific Launchpad group can vote in a group poll). You don't have
to know the emails and each member can only vote once, so it you set the
group right it's quite usable. Drawback is that it's a "pick one" direct
poll, not something fancy like Condorcet.

For serious stuff (Condorcet method) we've been using CIVS (which
requires you have the precise list of voters emails).

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)