[OpenStack-Infra] JJB overriding job-group jobs

Antoine Musso hashar at free.fr
Mon Dec 10 15:43:43 UTC 2012

Hello,

(for those that do not know me yet, I am the continuous integration
contractor for Wikimedia Foundation).

I have been migrating our infrastructure to use Jenkins Job builder, the
aim would be to test a few hundreds of extensions for MediaWiki.

I have a few job-templates regrouped in a job group which takes as
parameter the mediawiki extension name.  The group looks like:

 - job-group:
    name: mwext-check-jobs
    jobs:
     - '{name}-{ext-name}-merge'
     - '{name}-{ext-name}-lint'
     - '{name}-{ext-name}-jslint'
     - '{name}-{ext-name}-install'
     - '{name}-{ext-name}-testextensions'

Then I have declared my project listing all extensions:

 - project:
   name: mwext
   dependencies: "DEFAULT"  // used in macros and job-templates
   ext-name:
     - Echo
     - SVGEdit
     - Translate
     - visual
   jobs:
    - mwext-check-jobs // call the job-group

That works like a charm and Jenkins is filled with ton of jobs which are
working.   Now I would like some specific jobs to override the
"dependencies" parameter defined in the project.  That does not seems to
work for me when trying:

 - project:
   name: mwext
   dependencies: "DEFAULT"  // used in macros and job-templates
   ext-name:
     - Echo
     - SVGEdit
     - Translate
     - visual
   jobs:
    - mwext-check-jobs // call the job-group
    - mwext-Translate-testextensions
       dependencies: 'Diff,Validator'  // lame override attempt

Looking at the code,  mwext-Translate-testextensions is never matched
as a job and does not receive the new parameter :/

For my testing I created a simpler version of my file which I pasted as
a gist:
  https://gist.github.com/4251317

It defines a default "parameters" value at project level and attempt to
override "parameters" for a specific job.

If you get any clue or any pointer has to where to look at, I will be
more than happy :-)

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso