[OpenStack-I18n] [I18n][PTL][election] Nominations were over - no PTL candidacy

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:41:03 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 10:31 PM Ian Y. Choi <ianyrchoi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to share with I18n team members + OpenStackers who are
> interested in I18n that there were no PTL nominations for upcoming
> Victoria release cycle.
> I am still serving as an appointed PTL since I cannot run for I18n PTL
> as an election official, but also I honestly tell that my contribution
> has been decreased due to my personal life
> (my baby was born ~50 days ago - so busy but really happy as a father).

First of all, Congrats! Enjoy your new life stage!

> TC started to discuss on leaderless projects [1], and seems that a
> candidate to become to SIG [2] is being discussed as Docs team
> previously moved to Technical Writing SIG.
> I would like to kindly ask opinions from I18n team - unless there are no
> other strong opinions, I will support to become SIG and try to move
> forward for next possible steps.

I wonder what will change if we move to SIG.
That's a big question which hits me. We need to clarify what are the
scope of the i18n team (or SIG).

In my understanding, the roles the i18n team usually care are:
(1) to coordinate and help individual translation teams
    including handling translation failures detected during translation imports
(2) to maintain the translation platform and scripts which import
translation scripts
(3) to encourage translations support in individual projects (mainly
in horizon and horizon plugins)

What are things the SIG cares and who are responsible for what?
(1) and (2) still need to be covered.

Regarding (3), it is already cared by individual project teams like
horizon and their bug tracking system.
the i18n team is not involved so it can be out of scope of the SIG.