[OpenStack-I18n] [dev][horizon][docs][i18n]Horizon Taiwanese locale issue

Vadym Markov vmarkov at mirantis.com
Wed May 29 14:29:20 UTC 2019

Hi,

There is an issue with Taiwanese locale at least in Horizon. It would be
good to get a feedback from i18n team according to OpenStack docs too.

Speaking about Horizon, Chinese locales were renamed in Django 1.7 [1].
Zh-cn became zh-Hans, and zh-tw became zh-Hant. Old names were marked as
deprecated and finally removed in Django 1.11. Current supported Django
versions are 1.11 and 2.0 [2]

It is not an issue for Chinese because django locale middleware does silent
fallback from zh-cn to zh-Hans. But for Taiwanese it treats zh-tw as some
unknown variant of zh-* and also does fallback to default zh-cn, which is
wrong.

Reported bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1830886

Proposed solution is to migrate to new locale names everywhere in Horizon.
Here are proposed steps to fix this issue:

   1.

   Zanata jobs reconfiguration
   2.

   Django-related backend stuff. Biggest, but easiest part because it is
   well documented
   3.

   AngularJS. Quite old version is used, so we can hit some well forgotten
   issues. Also, testing is complicated.
   4.

   Horizon.js components. It is the smallest part

Other question will be thorougful testing of the bugfix.

[1]
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.7/#language-codes-zh-cn-zh-tw-and-fy-nl

[2]
https://docs.openstack.org/horizon/latest/install/system-requirements.html