[OpenStack-I18n] [Openstack-sigs] Edge Computing Whitepaper Translation

Ian Y. Choi ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Tue May 29 15:42:34 UTC 2018

Hello Akihiro,

Looks so amazing! Thanks a lot for your lots of progress on translated
edge computing white paper publication
with RST-based method, which is much preferred from I18n team, Docs
team, and all upstream projects.

In my honest opinion, using *one* unified tool in all OpenStack area
including official projects and publication
would be best, but more discussion and agreement on multiple different
teams (+ Foundation) would be needed I think.
When I attended to a Forum on ops-guide during Summit last week, I found
that ops-guide would want to convert from Wiki-based format to RST-based
format.
It would be pretty nice if we all use RST-based documents to many
places, but more things (e.g., current implementation,
maintenance, ...) need to be considered I think.

Now I would like to ask more opinions on:

- @amotoki: How long does it take to convert original text file + texts
on a PDF file to RST-based formats?
                         Did you do it manually and would it be also
rather easy for other members such as me or Foundation staff?

- @Foundation: Is it okay for translated white papers to publish with
RST-based tools as Akihiro did, since RST-based tools
                              are much easier to publish translated
documents and sync translated resources (po files)?

- @Foundation: OpenStack documents use CC BY 3.0. Would it be fine for
translated white papers to use similar CC
                             rather than CC BY-ND 4.0, for original edge
computing white paper document or cause intellectual issues?

- All (including translators): For design stuff, just making use of
openstackdocstheme would be pretty fine?
         For example, I forked from Akihiro's github repo, and published
using openstackdocstheme
         to https://ianychoi.github.io/edge-computing-whitepaper/
         (e.g., https://ianychoi.github.io/edge-computing-whitepaper/ja/ ).