[OpenStack-I18n] Translation statistics from directly uploaded po files?

Frank Kloeker eumel at arcor.de
Fri Oct 6 10:11:44 UTC 2017

Hello,

Am 2017-10-06 09:43, schrieb Akihiro Motoki:
>> Hello
>>> Returning to the original topic, generally speaking, I would say that
>>> we
>>> should avoid using PO file upload to translate strings because it
>>> potentially overwrites translations from others without checking
>>> anything.
>>> If your language team has multiple translators and you don't
>>> coordinate all
>>> translation works from all translators, it is high discouraged.
>> PO upload has its own benefits if you are coordinated, offline
>> translation
>> and translating with tools other than Zanata is important imho
>
> Yes, it works for that case.
>
> It totally depends on a language team choice (not a personal choice).
> Such team needs to explore and share their own translation process,
> so as I said before *generally speaking* it is not recommended much.
> Anyway it is a language team choice and i have nothing to say more.

In general I would say yes: Avoid manipulate po file manually and use
the Zanata platform in the web browser. On the other hand: it makes
sometimes sense and I used this in the last 2 weeks in the same way.
 From my experience: Uploaded po files are NOT covered in Stackalytics as
translation activities and that's okay, because you could push your
ranking with download/upload various project files without doing
anything.
My idea would be to work on po files manually offline, push this
coordinated by the team online and doing after this a review in Zanata.
Reviews should be also covered for ATC status, couldn't find this kind
of stats in Stackalytics.
@Akihiro: we explained the usage of zanata-cli in the I18n guide [1].
Maybe we make an extra warning in this chapter and recommend don't to
use it. What do you think?

kind regards

Frank

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/i18n/latest/tools.html#zanata-cli