[OpenStack-I18n] [openstack-docs] [dev] What's up, doc?

Alexandra Settle a.settle at outlook.com
Fri Mar 10 15:22:01 UTC 2017

Team team team team team,

It's been a crazy few weeks since the PTG ramping up our goals for Pike! Big thanks to everyone who has really hit the ground running with our new set of objectives.

This week I have been helping out Ianeta with the High Availability Guide ToC plan, (which you can review here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/440890/ ) and Rob Clark with the Security Guide plan (https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/sec-guide-pike ). I have also been working alongside Brian and the nova team to unblock ourselves from a particularly nasty, critical, bug affecting the Install Guide. For more information: https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1663485

Big thanks to Darren Chan who has been doing an awesome job for the last two weeks in keeping our bug list under control. We are down to an amazing 108 bugs in queue.

Next week, we have Ianeta who will be looking after the bug triage liaison role!

If you're sitting there thinking "bugs are for me, I really love triaging bugs!" well, you're in luck! We have a few spots open for the rest of the cycle: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/SpecialityTeams#Bug_Triage_Team

== Progress towards Pike ==
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/newyear?p0=24&msg=Pike+release&ud=1&font=slab

Bugs closed in Pike: 32! You guys rock :)

== The Road to the Summit in Boston ==
The summit schedule has been announced: https://www.openstack.org/summit/boston-2017/summit-schedule/#day=2017-05-08

I will be representing the docs team at the summit for the new 'Project Update' session. For more information: https://www.openstack.org/summit/boston-2017/summit-schedule/global-search?t=Project+Update+-+Documentation

Let me know if you had any doc talks accepted!

== Speciality Team Reports ==

API - Anne Gentle: One prominent change is that the Block Storage API v2 is now exactly replicated with v3 and so is now marked Deprecated. The list of all OpenStack APIs is now also here: https://developer.openstack.org/#api and you can see them based on support level here: https://developer.openstack.org/api-guide/quick-start/

Configuration Reference and CLI Reference - Tomoyuki Kato: N/A

High Availability Guide - Ianeta Hutchinson: So, we have this patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/440890/13 to establish the new ToC for HA Guide. We are trying to move all content that is relevant in the current guide over to the new ToC. From there, we will be filing bugs to start collaboration with the OSIC DevOps team who have signed up to adopt-a-guide and will be helping to provide content as SME's.

Hypervisor Tuning Guide - Blair Bethwaite: The Scientific-WG is considering proposing a hypervisor tuning + guide session for the Boston Forum though, so hopefully if that goes ahead it will create some renewed interest.

Installation guides - Lana Brindley: Waiting to sort out the last couple of bugs before we branch, hopefully next week.

Networking Guide - John Davidge: Huge number of patches this week on the RFC 5737 fix[1] - thanks to caoyuan! Continued progress on replacing neutronclient commands with OSC versions. Thank you to all contributors. A patch[2] changing a documented use of ’tenant’ to ‘project’ sparked a discussion in the neutron team about the mixture of terminology in neutron, with the conclusion that all remaining references to ’tenant’ in our config files and elsewhere are to be replaced with ‘project’ as soon as possible. Some of these will require deprecation cycles. Impact on the networking guide should be minimal.
[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1656378  [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/43816

Operations and Architecture Design guides - Darren Chan: A patch to move the draft Arch Guide to docs.o.o has merged. The previous guide has been moved to a "to archive" directory until the archiving process is ready. The Arch Guide working group met this week to rearchitect and scope the design content. We're currently focussed on the storage content.

Security Guide - Nathaniel Dillon: Rob Clark (PTL) and Alex are in the process of planning the ins and out of the overhaul of the guide. We're talking about dramatically reducing the scope, and introducing new, maintainable, content. Rob (hyakuhei) is also looking at getting a sprint in Austin at some point to get the security team all together and pump out some content. We also have the OSIC Security team pumping out some of the main, non-wishlist, bugs at preset.

Training Guides - Matjaz Pancur: N/A

Training labs - Pranav Salunke, Roger Luethi: We have pushed the current state of the Ocata training-labs changeset in case others find it useful. The scripts follow the install-guide and https://review.openstack.org/#/c/438328/ . The resulting cluster cannot launch instances because it fails to find a host (just like others following the install-guide have reported).

Admin and User guides - Joseph Robinson: For the User and Admin Guides, I've been looping through the bug list - there are SDK bugs and the issue of moving the python SDK examples, which was discussed back in Newton. There are also two telemetry bugs, which I need to contact the liaisons for. The only other point, is reviewing the Admin Guide migration spec: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439122/

== Doc team meeting ==
Our next meeting will be on Thursday, 23 March at 2100 UTC in #openstack-meeting-alt.
For more meeting details, including minutes and the agenda: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting

I am unavailable to be the meeting chair this week :( is someone able to host? Ping or email if you are able to help out!

--
Have a great weekend!
Alex