[OpenStack-I18n] [openstack-dev] [i18n] [nova] understanding log domain change - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439500

Ian Y. Choi ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 16:22:40 UTC 2017

Doug Hellmann wrote on 3/9/2017 9:24 PM:
> Excerpts from Sean McGinnis's message of 2017-03-07 07:17:09 -0600:

>> So... just looking for a definitive statement on this since there has
>> been some back and forth discussion.
>>
>> Is it correct to say - all projects may (should?) now remove all bits in
>> place for using and enforcing the _Lx() translation markers. Only _()
>> should be used for user visible error messages.
>>
>> Sean (smcginnis)
>>
> The situation is still not quite clear to me, and it would be
> unfortunate to undo too much of the translation support work because
> it will be hard to redo it.
>
> Is there documentation somewhere describing what the i18n team has
> committed to trying to translate?

I18n team describes translation plan and priority in Zanata -
translation platform
  : https://translate.openstack.org/ .

>   I think I heard that there was a
> shift in emphasis to "user interfaces", but I'm not sure if that
> includes error messages in services. Should we remove all use of
> oslo.i18n from services? Or only when dealing with logs?

When I18n team decided to removal of log translations in Barcelona last
October, there had been no
discussion on the removal of oslo.i18n translation support for log messages.
(I have kept track of what I18n team discussed during Barcelona I18n
meetup on Etherpad - [1])

Now I think that the final decision of oslo.i18n log translation support
needs more involvement
with translators considering oslo.i18n translation support, and also
more people on community wide including
project working groups, user committee, and operators as Matt suggested.

If translating log messages is meaningful to some community members and
some translators show interests
on translating log messages, then I18n team can revert the policy with
rolling back of translations.
Translated strings are still alive in not only previous stable branches,
but also in translation memory in Zanata - translation platform.

I would like to find some ways to discuss this topic with more community
wide.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/barcelona-i18n-meetup