[OpenStack-I18n] [OpenStack-docs] Summary of how I18n affects with doc-migration

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Tue Aug 1 06:53:49 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-31 20:16,  Ian Y. Choi  wrote:
> [...]
> 2. Draft index page for translated documents was also removed
>
> Previously, Docs team maintained draft documents for the master branch
> (which will be the stable branch
> after the official release and the document stables) on
> https://docs.openstack.org/draft/draft-index.html page.
> It also contained translated draft documents and I18n team accessed the
> page to see whether translated documents
> render well or not, and also review translated strings.

Note that this was done only for *initial* publishing. It was hiding the
link to it. The location was always the same.

Once we changed the link to the language landing page, no more reviews
were done.

> I did not notice when I saw the spec [1], but recently, I noticed that
> the the draft-index.html page was deprecated
> by [next-release-name]/index.haml (e.g.,
> https://docs.openstack.org/pike/index.html ) [4].
>
> Since I18n team encourages translation review for the better quality of
> translations, it is a good idea to see
> draft documents before language landing pages have the link to fully
> translated and reviewed documents.

Since this is only about linking to a document: That can happen today as
well - if we publish separate documents and not include languages in the
document itself as done with release notes.

> Motoki-san proposed an idea of translation status support using an yaml
> file in openstack-manuals [5],
> and I would like to discuss with I18n team how we deal with the change
> of draft index page.

> [...]

Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)