[OpenStack-I18n] Next generation translation checksite

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 16:19:26 UTC 2016

Thanks Frank for initiating the discussion.

I am not sure what was the real problem of DevStack-based check site.
Is it a problem that DevStack takes much time?
Regarding stability, DevStack itself rarely fails to run in my recent
experience.

Anyway, I do not want to stick DevStack. The reason I used DevStack is just
because I am
an OpenStack developer and familiar with DevStack. That's all.
openstack-ansible is becoming stable, so it is a good candidate.

I see several key points for the official horizon translation check site:

(1) It must be friendly with OpenStack infra scripts including puppet.
  - openstack-ansible may be a good candidate.
  - DevStack based approach takes too long time? timeout?
(2) How fast can the check site catch up with the horizon code base?
     We would like to use the latest horizon (hopefully with daily update).
     It is needed to use latest translation as well.
(3) Can we import translation from Zanata? (IMO this is optional)
(4) ... (others?)

My comparison (incomplete):
[DevStack]
  (1) ? (Does it take too long? timeout?)
  (2)(3) can be covered by a custom script.
[openstack-ansible]
  (1) nice if it works
  (2) it depends on how openstack-ansible catch up with the upstream
repository.
      Can openstack-ansible deploy horizon from the latest git repository?
  (3) we can prepare a playbook or a shell script.

Note that ,as a start line, I think we can deploy the translation check
site ONLY around the OpenStack release.
This mean we only need to run the site for about one month. We can try to
run it longer after that.