[OpenStack-I18n] translated release note: import criteria and publishing

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 09:55:32 UTC 2016

Hi i18n team,
CC: Doug from the release team.

We are now preparing translated version of release notes.
I would like to discuss the import criteria of release notes translation.
If there is a better way, it would be great.

== Problem ==

Release notes translation is imported when 75% of a PO file is translated.
75% is calculated as a whole.

If a language team wants to translate release notes of a specific release,
the team needs to translate release notes of other releases.
This comes from the fact that the translation percentage is calculated as a
whole.

The development teams started to use reno for translation at the beginning
of Mitaka cycle
and Liberty release notes are converted into reno-based release notes.
This mean if we want to publish Newton release notes translation, we need
to translate
release notes for Liberty and Mitaka at the same time.

== Proposal ==

I hope we can publish translated release notes per release.
If Newton release notes translation completes, I want to publish Newton
release notes.
My proposal is to change the import criteria for release notes translation
to 75% at least for a specific release.

If translation progress of release notes are less than 40% for all releases,
a corresponding PO file will be removed from the repo.

I proposed an infra scirpt change to implement the above.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/383622/
Proposed threshold 75% and 40% might need to be revisited.

== Open question ==

Do we publish translated release notes for a release with <75% progress?
This is about publishing rendered release notes.

For example, assume my lang team have translated release notes
90% for Newton, 10% for Mitaka and Liberty. In this case, which is better
not to publish Mitaka and Liberty release notes translation or to publish
all?

My vote is not to publish less-translated version of release notes.

== Note ==

Question from Ian on the gerrit review.
By the way, is it possible to see only Newton release note strings in
Zanata?
Answer: The current Zanata version we use does not support filtering by an
original filename.
You need to check English release notes like [1] or [2] and search strings
on Zanata.
[1] https://releases.openstack.org/newton/index.html
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/horizon/