[Openstack-i18n] [openstack-dev] [release][horizon][i18n] can we release django-openstack-auth of stable/mitaka for translations

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Mar 22 11:08:44 UTC 2016

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 6:18 AM, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi release management team,
>
> Can we have a new release of django-openstack-auth from stable/mitaka
> branch for translations?
>
> What is happening?
> django-openstack-auth is a library project consumed by Horizon.
> The (soft) string freeze happens when the milestone-3 is cut.
> The milestone-3 is also the dependency freeze.
> This is a dilemma between dependency freeze and translation start,
> and there is no chance to import translations of django-openstack-auth
> for Mitaka.
> There are several updates of translations after 2.2.0 (mitaka) release [1].
> As the i18n team, we would like to have a released version of
> django-openstack-auth
> with up-to-date translations.
>
> Which version?
> The current version of django-openstack-auth for Mitaka is 2.2.0.
> What version number is recommended, 2.2.1 or 2.3.0?

Stable branches for libraries should only ever increment the patch level, so 2.2.1.

> When?
> Hopefully a new version is released soon around Mitaka is shipped.
> The current translation deadline is set to Mar 28 (the beginning of
> the release week).
> In my understanding we avoid releasing a new version of library before
> the Mitaka release.
> Distributors can choose which version is included in their distribution.

Even if we don't do the release before the end of this cycle, we can release it as a stable update. Either way, when you are ready for a new release submit the patch to openstack/releases and include in the commit message the note that the update includes translations.

Do you think it would be possible for Newton to start translations for libraries sooner, before their freeze date?

Doug