[Openstack-i18n] Criteria of Horizon language list for Mitakarelease

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Tue Mar 22 10:56:45 UTC 2016

Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote on 03/22/2016 06:43:33 PM:

> From: Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>
> To: Ying Chun Guo/China/IBM at IBMCN
> Cc: "openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org"
<openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org>
> Date: 03/22/2016 06:45 PM
> Subject: Re: [Openstack-i18n] Criteria of Horizon language list for
> Mitakarelease

> > Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote on 03/22/2016 02:27:21 AM:
> >
> >> From: Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>
> >> To: "openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org"
> > <Openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org>
> >> Date: 03/22/2016 02:29 AM
> >> Subject: [Openstack-i18n] Criteria of Horizon language list for
Mitaka
> > release
> >>
> >> Hi i18n team,
> >>
> >> As Horizon liaison, I would like to ask you all about the criteria of
> >> Horizon language list for Mitaka release.
> >>
> >> The same topic was discussed several releases ago and the consensus
at
> >> that time were:
> >> * remove all translations with less than 90% progress
> >> * update the language list accordingly.
> >>
> >> Translations were imported manually at that time and the situation
may
> >> be changed now.
> >> I don't have an opinion and will just follow the i18n project
decision.
> >> If no response or well-defined criteria, I will just keep the current
> >> language list [1].
> >
> > Thank you for taking care of that, Akihiro.
> > I don't see any requests to change the language list.
> >

> >> The following is just information:
> >> We have four PO files (django/djangojs for horizon and
> > openstack_dashboard).
> >> The current translation import policy for each PO file is
documentedhere
> > [2].
> >> Each PO file is imported once the translation percentage becomes over
> > 75%
> >> and it will be removed when the translation percentage becomes less
than
> > 20%.
> >> What is our criteria?
> >
> > My opinion is to follow the previous guidelines.
>
> Do you mean we should remove <90% translations and update the lang
> list accordingly?
>
> I made a quick survey. The result is not so happy, but I will just
> follow the team decision.
>
> We have four PO files per language for horizon.
> My understanding is 90% means 90% translations for all these PO files.
> Unfortunately, as of today, only four languages satisfy this criteria
> (90%): de, fr, ja, ko
> If we change the criteria to 66%, we will have three more languages:
> pt-br, ru, zh-cn.
>
> It is too sad statistics. openstack_dashboard/djangojs is the
> bottleneck of the progress.
>
> On the other hand, the current language list contains 15 translated
languages:
> cs, de, en-gb, en-au, es, fr, it, ja, ko, pl, pt-br, ru, tr, zh-cn,
zh-tw.

No, I didn't mean to remove <90% translations.
Did we do that before ?
I thought the criteria was 66%.

I just realized the difference situation we met in this release.
We have included plugin projects.
Before mitaka, we only focus on Horizon translation.
If we only take a look at the completion rate of Horizon[1], I think most
active translation team have achieved >66%. So it means, we don't need to
remove any languages from the list.
If we consider the overall completion rate of plugin projects together
with Horizon projects, some languages are less than 66%.
My suggestion is to only consider the progress of Horizon project.
90% is too strict, I think. 66% is better.