[Openstack-i18n] Criteria of Horizon language list for Mitakarelease

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 10:43:33 UTC 2016

> Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote on 03/22/2016 02:27:21 AM:
>
>> From: Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>
>> To: "openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org"
> <Openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org>
>> Date: 03/22/2016 02:29 AM
>> Subject: [Openstack-i18n] Criteria of Horizon language list for Mitaka
> release
>>
>> Hi i18n team,
>>
>> As Horizon liaison, I would like to ask you all about the criteria of
>> Horizon language list for Mitaka release.
>>
>> The same topic was discussed several releases ago and the consensus at
>> that time were:
>> * remove all translations with less than 90% progress
>> * update the language list accordingly.
>>
>> Translations were imported manually at that time and the situation may
>> be changed now.
>> I don't have an opinion and will just follow the i18n project decision.
>> If no response or well-defined criteria, I will just keep the current
>> language list [1].
>
> Thank you for taking care of that, Akihiro.
> I don't see any requests to change the language list.
>

>> The following is just information:
>> We have four PO files (django/djangojs for horizon and
> openstack_dashboard).
>> The current translation import policy for each PO file is documentedhere
> [2].
>> Each PO file is imported once the translation percentage becomes over
> 75%
>> and it will be removed when the translation percentage becomes less than
> 20%.
>> What is our criteria?
>
> My opinion is to follow the previous guidelines.

Do you mean we should remove <90% translations and update the lang
list accordingly?

I made a quick survey. The result is not so happy, but I will just
follow the team decision.

We have four PO files per language for horizon.
My understanding is 90% means 90% translations for all these PO files.
Unfortunately, as of today, only four languages satisfy this criteria
(90%): de, fr, ja, ko
If we change the criteria to 66%, we will have three more languages:
pt-br, ru, zh-cn.

It is too sad statistics. openstack_dashboard/djangojs is the
bottleneck of the progress.

On the other hand, the current language list contains 15 translated languages:
cs, de, en-gb, en-au, es, fr, it, ja, ko, pl, pt-br, ru, tr, zh-cn, zh-tw.

Akihiro