[Openstack-i18n] [stable][i18n] What is the backport policy on i18n changes?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Feb 18 00:16:26 UTC 2016

I don't think we have an official policy for stable backports with
respect to translatable string changes.

I'm looking at a release request for ironic-inspector on stable/liberty
[1] and one of the changes in that has translatable string changes to
user-facing error messages [2].

mrunge brought up this issue in the stable team meeting this week also
since Horizon has to be extra careful about backporting changes with
translatable string changes.

I think on the server side, if they are changes that just go in the
logs, it's not a huge issue. But for user facing changes, should we
treat those like StringFreeze [3]? Or only if the stable branches for
the given project aren't getting translation updates? I know the server
projects (at least nova) is still get translation updates on
stable/liberty so if we do backport changes with translatable string
updates, they aren't getting updated in stable. I don't see anything
like that happening for ironic-inspector on stable/liberty though.

Thoughts?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/279515/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/279071/1/ironic_inspector/process.py
[3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StringFreeze