[Openstack-i18n] What's Up, Doc? 25 September 2015

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Sep 25 05:00:03 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you to everyone who has suggested sessions for docs
at Tokyo. I'll keep the etherpad open for another week or so, just to
give everyone a chance, and will start working on a draft schedule next
week. I have spent most of this week on bug triage, which is repetitive
work, but it's gratifying to see the numbers drop a little!

== Progress towards Liberty ==

19 days to go

534 bugs closed so far for this release.

The main areas of focus we had during Liberty were the RST migration,
paying down some of our technical debt, and improving our general
communication issues. The RST conversion is well and truly complete,
with just a couple of books waiting in the wings to be published. We
have made some progress on improving our communication generally, with
liaisons now more visible and involved, and some improved processes.
Regarding old bugs, during Liberty we spotlighted a total of 24 bugs,
exactly half of which have now been closed.

== Mitaka Summit Prep ==

The schedule app for your phone is now available. This is a great tool
once you're on the ground at Summit:
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=98721
6292&mt=8
(Apple) and
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sched.openstacksummitm
ay2015vancouver
(Android)

Docs have been allocated two fishbowls, four workrooms, and a half day
meetup, so now is the time to start gathering ideas for what you would
like to see us cover. Add your ideas to the etherpad here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Tokyo-DocsSessions I'll create a draft
session based on this feedback next week.

== Bug Triage Process ==

The core team have been noticing a lot of people trying to close bugs
that haven't been triaged recently. It is very important that you have
someone else confirm your bug before you go ahead and create a patch.
Waiting just a little while for triage can save you (and our core team!)
a lot of work, and makes sure we don't let wayward changes past the
gate. If you're unsure about whether you need to wait or not, or if
you're in a hurry to work on a bug, you can always ping one of the core
team on IRC or on our mailing list. The core team members are listed
here, and we're always happy to help you out with a bug or a patch:
https://launchpad.net/~openstack-doc-core

This is even more important than usual as we get closer to the Liberty
release, so remember: If it's not triaged, don't fix it!

== Spotlight Bugs ==

During Liberty we spotlighted a total of 24 bugs, exactly half of which
have now been closed. This is a great effort to clear out some old dusty
bugs and pay down some technical debt. Thanks go out to Tom Fifield,
Olga Gusarenko, Yusuke Ide, Brian Moss, Deena Cooper, and Alexandra
Settle for taking them on! With Liberty and the Summit bearing down on
us, though, let's focus back on what needs to be done for release. At
Summit, we'll discuss how to expand and improve on this effort in future
releases.

== Doc team meeting ==

The US meeting was held this week. The minutes are here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2015-09-23

The next meetings will be the final meetings before the Liberty release:
APAC: Wednesday 30 September, 00:30:00 UTC
US: Wednesday 7 October, 14:00:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_
meeting

- --

Remember, if you have content you would like to add to this newsletter,
or you would like to be added to the distribution list, please email me
directly at openstack at lanabrindley.com, or visit:
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Documentation/WhatsUpDoc

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana