[Openstack-i18n] Handling of translations for Liberty

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu Sep 24 17:41:18 UTC 2015

We had some IRC discussion today about how to handle the "other"
projects with importing and here's a proposal based on discussions with
Clark, Lyz, Steve, Daisy and Thierry.

I'd like to prepare everything for this tomorrow if possible, so please
speak up if you have questions or concerns,

Andreas

Challenge:

     We have translations for some projects like keystone that are not
on the liberty branch. Master is already open for Mitaka.

Proposal:

     Handle all projects that have currently  translations of main files
(so, not only LOG files) and liberty branches the same - like we do with
horizon and nova.

Details:

This means, the following projects will get liberty branches:

List of projects that branch with translations:
openstack/ceilometer
openstack/cinder
openstack/designate
openstack/designate-dashboard
openstack/django_openstack_auth
openstack/glance
openstack/horizon
openstack/keystone
openstack/neutron
openstack/nova
openstack/swift
openstack/zaqar

List of projects branching later:
openstack/openstack-manuals - to translate Install Guide

The following projects will not be translated:

List of projects that branch without translations in git :
openstack/aodh
openstack/ironic-inspector
openstack/magnum
openstack/magnum-ui
openstack/manila
openstack/sahara
openstack/searchlight

List of projects that branch with only LOG translations in git:
openstack/barbican
openstack/glance_store
openstack/heat
openstack/ironic
openstack/trove

List of projects not branching:
openstack/api-site
openstack/ha-guide
openstack/operations-guide
openstack/oslo.cache
openstack/oslo.concurrency
openstack/oslo.db
openstack/oslo.i18n
openstack/oslo.log
openstack/oslo.messaging
openstack/oslo.middleware
openstack/oslo.policy
openstack/oslo.reports
openstack/oslo.service
openstack/oslo.utils
openstack/oslo.versionedobjects
openstack/oslo.vmware
openstack/python-magnumclient
openstack/python-openstackclient
openstack/security-doc

Process

1. Before RC1 is cut, translators work with master version.
2. When stable branch is cut, branches get created in Zanata as well.
Syncing will get enabled for them.
3. Translators focus on translation of stable branch.
4. Once translators are finished with translations, a copy of new
translations from stable branch to master is done in Zanata .
5. Open master version to accept translations.

Note: Around RC1 time, a patch to cleanup "old" translations gets
proposed to both stable and master to remove any translations in git
that are less than 50 % translated (we normally only delete less than 20
% to avoid to frequent deletion).

What do we want to see in Liberty release:
     * Updated translations of files that are sufficiently translate (>
75 %)
     * Updated po source file that reflect state of repository
     * No empty/mainly untranslated language files (< 50 %)

Andreas
        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)