[Openstack-i18n] translating python clients

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Sep 21 14:09:09 UTC 2015

On 9/18/2015 10:54 AM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
> I have no comment on Liberty translation priority atm.
>
> I think a couple of different topics are discussed at the same here.
>
> * CLI translation priority
> * Server side project translation priority
> * (potential) usage of server side project translations in Horizon
>
> We need to have more contact with project teams in the next cycle
> more deeply to decide translation priorties before starting translations.
> In the past releases, i18n team tended to start discussions after starting
> translations and it is too late for the game in most cases.
>
> Regarding client projects, I know openstackclient is our future and
> the keystone team encourage to use openstackclient for Keystone v3 API.
> However, regarding other projects like nova or neutron,
> the progress of openstackclient integration is not well enojgh
> and a new feature is implemented in each client.
> Thus we need to consider the priority in the next cycle.

I agree with this.  We are nowhere near, as far as I can tell anyway, of
deprecating python-novaclient.  The reason we pushed the changes to
translate the project is because people are pushing changes into
python-novaclient to mark strings for translation, but there was never
any infrastructure in place to do those translations (the project wasn't
even configured with babel until a couple of weeks ago).

So the feeling was, why not translate it?  It's easy to setup.  I agree
that python-openstackclient is higher priority for the CLI, but
python-novaclient is not going away anytime soon, especially now that we
have microversion support in it for the compute API, which I don't think
python-openstackclient has.