[Openstack-i18n] Zanata, message to the team

Douglas Fish drfish at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 18 13:38:17 UTC 2015

Hi Robert,

You may be right that the i18n list isn't the best solution - but let me
outline the benefits I see to using it so we can have a complete
consideration:

- Having the translators all subscribed to the i18n list would be an
important side effect of using it for langauge team communication. Really
everyone should be subscribed already
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/I18nTeam but I understand that isn't the
case. Having a well-used mailing list would allow more effective in-team
discussion where handling announcements such as Transifex->Zanata migration
more effectively. Also it could facilitate communication between the
translators and other parts of the development community so perhaps some
bugs could be addressed more quickly.

- I'd fully expect that language team discussions would take place in the
local language. I think that's only one level different that keystone
discussions and horizon discussions happening in the same mailing list -
sometimes that feels almost as different as two languages! If the
discussions are conducted on the public list, I can sort out for myself
what I'm interested in or choose to ignore. If the discussions are handled
through Zanata and I'm not part of that language team I have no opportunity
to join in the discussion or understand why certain choices may have been
made.

That being said, I am not a translator. I don't have full visibility to
your needs. I'll be happy with the decision of the i18n team.

Thanks!

Doug

Robert Simai <robert.simai at suse.com> wrote on 09/18/2015 02:14:56 AM:

> [...]
>
> - for a regular translator many stuff discussed here may not be relevant
> or interesting
>
> - they will all have to setup proper email filtering and it needs
> discipline for the poster to stick to that. You'd probably need two
> tags, one for the project and one for the language
>
> - we can't use the local language to discuss language specific stuff but
> need to stick to English
>
> And there may be a few more. These however were my thoughts why I
> (still) think it should rather be a Zanata feature as there we have
> user/team information and could easily target messages to relevant
people.

> --
> Thanks,
>     Robert
>

> On Thu Sep 17 2015 14:58:39 GMT+0200 (CEST) drfish at us.ibm.com wrote:

> > openstack-dev lists multiple teams use it and we just include [horizon]
> > or [keystone] or similar as appropriate to help sort out messages to
> > interested parties.
> >
> > The nice thing about this is that it makes the discussion open to
others
> > who might take interest periodically.
> >
> > Doug
> >

> > Robert Simai <robert.simai at suse.com> wrote on 09/17/2015 03:32:30 AM:
> >
> >  > From: Robert Simai <robert.simai at suse.com>
> >  > To: Ying Chun Guo <guoyingc at cn.ibm.com>,
> > openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org
> >  > Date: 09/17/2015 03:33 AM
> >  > Subject: Re: [Openstack-i18n] Zanata, message to the team
> >  >
> >  > Hi Daisy,
> >  >
> >  > On Thu Sep 17 2015 09:04:33 GMT+0200 (CEST) guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
wrote:
> >  >
> >  > > Hi, Rob
> >  > >
> >  > > I didn't find the method to message team either.
> >  > > I just find an instance messaging method to communicate with
people who
> >  > > are translating the same document.
> >  >
> >  > Yes, but that clearly has another purpose.
> >  >
> >  > > I think you might use email to talk with your team members.
> >  > > I know it's not good.
> >  >
> >  > Frankly, it's less than not good as it means I (and whoever wants to
do
> >  > this) need to setup and maintain my own email distribution list all
> >  > manually.
> >  >
> >  > > We could discuss how to add more communication ways.
> >  > > Either ask Zanata to provide a feature, or we use a communicate
method
> >  > > on top of openstack infra.
> >  >
> >  > Well, I don't mind how it's done but would greatly appreciate if
there's
> >  > some easy way to send notifications to the specific language team.
It
http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-i18n