[Openstack-i18n] IBM translations to contribute: update
Ying Chun Guo
guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Thu Sep 17 15:06:16 UTC 2015
Hi Doug, Hi team,
In today's IRC meeting, we talked about the process to get IBM
I'm going to normalize the process to contribute translations by uploading
Here are some key points during the meeting:
1. It is strongly discouraged to use the offline editor other than web
Because the offline editor could not take the advantages of
translation memory and glossary,
which might affect the translation quality.
2. Simply uploading po files are not allowed because it has a risk that
the po files might contain bad translations.
3. In some special cases, if people who want to contribute translations by
uploading po files, following below steps
3.1 Send email to I18n mailing list, describing the source documents
and languages he/she is going to upload.
3.2 Zanata admin will create a branch. Then contributors could upload
po files to the proposed branch.
3.3 When the uploading is done, language coordinators could review the
The coordinators could have two kinds of review results: agree
to merge or deny to merge.
If the coordinators deny to merge, coordinators should give some
comments, either to delete this branch, or to suggestions to improve.
3.4 If the coordinators agree to merge to the master branch, Zanata
admin will make the merge.
A option could set during the branches merging to make sure not
overwrite translated/approved translations in the source branch.
After merging, the proposed branch will be deleted.
I have been testing branches in the Zanata test server for several days.
When I make sure it works fine, I will go to the production server.
@Doug, please let us know which resources and which languages you are
going to propose ?
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)
"Douglas Fish" <drfish at us.ibm.com> wrote on 09/16/2015 08:05:52 PM:
> From: "Douglas Fish" <drfish at us.ibm.com>
> To: "Openstack-i18n Openstack-i18n" <openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org>
> Date: 09/16/2015 08:06 PM
> Subject: [Openstack-i18n] IBM translations to contribute: update
> Here's the revised approach we are taking to contributing our IBM
> translations to the community, based on feedback on suggestions:
> We are planning to make the proposed translations available for a
> pre-review as a separate branch in Zanata, but they are not there
> yet. While testing out this upload on the development server we
> discovered that uploading PO files caused the server to become
> unresponsive for a while. Thanks to pleia2 and the infra team for
> sorting that out and addressing the issue. We'll try the upload on
> dev again tomorrow and if it goes well we will make the translations
> available for pre-review in a separate Zanata branch.
> I had originally proposed ending the pre-review on Monday. Obviously
> that's not going to happen! I understand that different language
> teams have differing levels of readiness to accept these
> contributions. I understand some groups are ready at this time,
> while others would like to have more time, possibly even into Mitaka
> to review. We aren't going to upload PO files for any language were
> the team does not want them.
> Language coordinators, please let me know how you'd like to proceed
> with these contributions for your language. Do you want
> 1) us to upload them to Zanata's current master translations for
> normal review and editing as soon as we can,
> 2) us to upload them to Zanata as a separate branch for further
> 3) hold off any submission or preview at this time.
> Please note that it important to us that we upload these
> translations. The translations are a valued IBM asset, it's
> important to us that they are recognized as contributed by IBM.
> I'll be at the Thursday i18n team meeting, and am available by IRC
> (doug-fish) or email if you have questions or further concerns.
> Openstack-i18n mailing list
> Openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Openstack-i18n