[Openstack-i18n] IBM translations to contribute

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Tue Sep 15 02:44:40 UTC 2015

Hi Clark,

On 15/09/15 03:04, Clark Boylan wrote:
>> As translation team becomes more and more popular,
>> there would be more people (or company) who want to contribute their
>> translations in po files. I want to create a formal process for those
>> who want to contribute translations in batch.
> I do not think we want to encourage this behavior at all. We (OpenStack)
> provide tooling to perform the translations upstream. This is where
> translations should happen instead of happening at many different
> downstreams who then have to figure out how to merge the translations
> when they are pushed in batches. We should just be translating as we go
> and working together.

Just quick context here. Quite a lot of translation of software around
the place is not done "in house". Rather, a file gets sent over to a
contracted professional translation agency. These organisations have
their own workflows and based on my experience would politely decline a
request to use different tooling for a single client.

Where the translation is being performed by organisations well
integrated with the community, for sure - let's get it done 'as we go'
and make it well visible for all the good reasons you've listed.
However, I do think we want to ensure that if someone's going to foot
the bill for a serious advance in a language's translation completion,
we don't scare them away by making unreasonable demands of their
contractor :)

Regards,

Tom