[Openstack-i18n] Liberty translation, go!

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Thu Sep 10 09:32:22 UTC 2015

Hello, team

As the new translation tool - Zanata is ready to use, let's kick off the
Liberty
translation from today.

The Liberty translation plan includes Horizon translation and Nova
translation.

We are quite familiar with Horizon translations.
Here are the Horizon documents to be translated in Liberty:
https://translate.openstack.org/iteration/view/horizon/master/documents
Since Kilo release, there are 500+ new introduced messages.

Nova is the first time to be included in the translation plan.
It could be regarded as a trial that I18n team would translate
more kinds of user facing messages in the future.
Here are the Nova documents to be translated:
https://translate.openstack.org/iteration/view/nova/master/documents
Document "nova" contains user facing messages, which is required to be
translated.
Documents "nova-log-*" contain different levels of log messages,
which are optional to be translated. Whether to translate log messages
and which levels to be translated could be the decision of each language
team.

In Liberty translation, we use two phases of string freeze: the soft
freeze
and the hard freeze[1]. Soft freeze is already happened at feature freeze
time.
Hard freeze will be happened in the week of 21st September. New strings
will be added before the strict freeze while we are translating. After
strict
freeze there will be few strings added, and then we will get 10 days to
finish up the
translations.

Oct 12-16 is the official Liberty release date. We have to finish all the
translations
several days before the final release, in order to give time to
development
team to import translations, package everything, and run final tests.
So Oct 5 would be an appropriate deadline for translation.
If you want your language pack to be included in Liberty release,
work with your language team, finish these translations before Oct. 5.

Zanata is a new tool for translation team.
Wiki page [2] describes how to register and how to join a language team.
Zanata translators guide [3] is helpful if you don't know how to use
Zanata.
If you meet with any issues or problems you cannot solve, ask for help
through the IRC channel and the mailing list.
There is a strong infrastructure team and a supportive Zanata team behind
us.

September is a busy time for translators.
Let's start Liberty translation now.
Any questions, please let me know.

Best regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)