[Openstack-i18n] String Freeze Guidelines Update

Steve Kowalik steven at wedontsleep.org
Wed Sep 9 11:45:19 UTC 2015

On 09/09/15 19:38, John Garbutt wrote:
> Daisy and I have been chatting about the String Freeze guidelines.
>
> After our conversations, and some discussion in the cross project
> meeting, I have updated them here:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StringFreeze
>
> It seems the general string freeze got accidentally got made super strict.
>
> Hopefully this slight relaxing of the rules will work better for
> everyone, particularly for our users.
>
> Certainly right now we are only merging bug fixes, but they often
> include the need for extra log messages, or similar. Right now we are
> hiding logs as debug messages, etc, to try and get them merged during
> the freeze. The above changes should stop all that pain, and help our
> users too.

Just as an extra data point, String Freeze might change for the M
cycle. Due to switching to Zanata[1] for translations, which is
hopefully well in hand for the Liberty cycle, with some extra work we
should be able to translate stable versions. My current plan is to
discuss that with -infra and the translators themselves at the Tokyo
Summit.

1:
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/specs/migrate_to_zanata.html

Cheers,
--
                                        Steve
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'