[Openstack-i18n] Final plans before translations switch to Zanata

ਅਨਪੜ੍ਹ ਜਿਮੀਂਦਾਰ jimidar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 19:41:32 UTC 2015

Please find my comments for bn and pa inline.

Thanks
Jimidar
(Amandeep Singh)

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 08/27/2015 06:10 PM, Elizabeth K. Joseph wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:17 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Could we also revise languages and language codes?
>>>
>>> I think we should prefer Country-independent languages over country ones.
>>>
>>> So, we should prefer German ("de") over German in Germany ("de_DE") and
>>> German in Austria ("de_AT").
>>>
>>> In case where we have country specific ones - like pl_PL -, can we rename
>>> them to country independent ones - like pl?
>>>
>>> When asking for new languages, we should then get the independent one in
>>> first and only after consolidation with the existing team create a
>>> specific
>>> one.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>

>> I can't directly speak to the conversation that led to this list, but
>> StevenK and Daisy came up with the following list, which seems to go
>> by what you suggest:
>>
>> ar
>> as
>> bg-BG
>>

> Rename to bg?
>
> bn-IN
>>

> Rename to bn?

Bangla is used in two different countries. Bengali in India. and Bangla in
Bangladesh. Can not generalize the term for it.

> brx
>> ca
>> cs
>> de
>> el
>> en-AU
>> en-GB
>> es
>> es-MX
>> fi-FI
>>

> Rename to fi?
>
> fil
>> fr
>> gu
>> he
>> hi
>> hu
>> id
>> it
>> ja
>> ka-GE
>>

> Rename to ka?
>
> kn
>> ko-KR
>>

> Can we rename to ko, please?
>
> kok
>> ks
>> mai
>> mni
>> mr
>> ne
>> nl-NL
>>

> Rename to nl?
>
> pa-IN
>>

> Rename to pa?

Punjabi (pa) has two scripts, one is Gurmukhi used in Indian side of Punjab
and the other is Shahmukhi (Urdu) used in Pakistan's Punjab, so renaming to
a generalized name wont do the justice to both entirely different scripts.