[Openstack-i18n] [nova][i18n] Is there any point in using _() in python-novaclient?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Sep 4 17:49:33 UTC 2015

I noticed this today:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/219768/

And it got me thinking about something I've wondered before - why do we
even use _() in python-novaclient?  It doesn't have any .po files for
babel message translation, it has no babel config, there is nothing in
setup.cfg about extracting messages and compiling them into .mo's, there
is nothing on Transifex for python-novaclient, etc.

Is there a way to change your locale and get translated output in nova
CLIs?  I didn't find anything in docs from a quick google search.

Comparing to python-openstackclient, that does have a babel config and
some locale po files in tree, at least for de and zh_TW.

So if this doesn't work in python-novaclient, do we need any of the i18n
code in there?  It doesn't really hurt, but it seems pointless to push
changes for it or try to keep user-facing messages in mind in the code.

Matt Riedemann