[Openstack-i18n] Horizon translation check site for Kilo

Douglas Fish drfish at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 18 23:22:23 UTC 2015

I've been thinking about Akihiro's request and it seems to me one of the
key challenges is finding the infrastructure to support this testing.
Maybe we should avoid the need for infrastructure entirely.

I wonder if it would be more straightforward to enable the translators to
update a local, devstack based version of Horizon by running a script to
copy in-progress translations to their local Horizon.  Akihiro has shared
some of the tooling he has used to manage this.  I'm thinking of turning
this into a script that could be used after setting up Horizon to
automatically download, compile, and configure an updated translation.

Would this be a useful approach for the translation community?

Doug Fish

Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote on 03/04/2015 09:57:29 AM:

> From: Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>
> To: "openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org"
<Openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org>
> Date: 03/04/2015 09:58 AM
> Subject: Re: [Openstack-i18n] Horizon translation check site for Kilo
>
> Thanks Andreas. It sounds useful and interesting topic.
> Regarding infra-cloud, I think it is enough that some limited set offolks
from
> i18n and docs team. Not all translators and doc writes need to access
> such infra.
> Of course we can continue to discuss with the infra team.
>
> Perhaps we need to break down plans and action items
> so that anyone interested in the work can join.
> The important thing is that we cannot assume the situation changes
> release by release as personnel, so we need more steady way *as a team*.
>
> I sent the previous mail to mention that I cannot have enough time for
> I18N work in Kilo and collect more involevement from other folks :-)
> I know not a small portion of folks involved work on translations
> as your private time effort (including me). Thus we need to work as a
team.

> Akihiro

> > On 03/04/2015 04:30 PM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Kilo-3 is approaching and it is the time to start translations for
Kilo.
> >> I would like to know the status of the community effort on preparing
> >> the Horizon translation check site.
> >>
> >> In the past releases, I18N team has the horizon translation check site
> >> but it was completely provided by my resource and time.
> >> For Kilo cycle, I am sure I can provide such site at all because I am
> >> spending very busy days on my main work.
> >>
> >> The same situation continues for three release cycles
> >> and I think it is time we should have such site as the team.
> >> We should not depend on someone's personal effort as OpenStack
community.

> >> I may be able to provide the site for Kilo release if I have time
> but not sure.
> >> I would like to raise this topic.
> >> If nobody other than me raises a hand, it is no longer a team
> >> and it means we fail as a community.
> >> I can help the work but don't have enough time to lead it.
> >>
> >> I hope we have a progress on it.
> >
> > I raised the issue on the infra meeting yesterday - see topic
Infra-cloud:

> > http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/infra/2015/infra.
> 2015-03-03-19.01.html
> >
> > I suggest you continue discussion with the infra folks involved with
the
> > infra-cloud as well,
> >
> > Andreas
> > --
> >  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi
> >   SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
> >    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
> >        Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
> >     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272
A126