[Openstack-i18n] What's Up, Doc? 19 June 2015

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Jun 19 02:27:45 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

This week, I've been working on helping out the Ironic team to sort out
their Install Guide (thanks have to go to Gauvain and Nick, who have
offered to help out with writing assistance here), and trying to come up
with some better ways to work with the i18n team, and our docs liaisons.
More on all of that further in.

== Progress towards Liberty ==

* RST conversion:
** Install Guide: Spec is merged, stand by for conversion to start
** Cloud Admin Guide: is well on the way. Get in touch with Brian or
Joe, or sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration
** HA Guide: is also underway. Get in touch with Meg or Matt:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HA_Guide_Update
** Security Guide: In planning. Stand by for more info.

* User Guides information architecture overhaul
** Waiting on the RST conversion of the Cloud Admin Guide to be complete

* Greater focus on helping out devs with docs in their repo
** We now have a team starting to form to work on Ironic docs. Contact
me if you want to know more, or are willing to help out.

* Improve how we communicate with and support our corporate contributors
** No progress this week

* Improve communication with Docs Liaisons
** I have now reached out to liaisons. More later in this newsletter.

* Clearing out old bugs
** Thanks to Tom for closing bug 1195875. Let's keep up the great work!

== RST Migration ==

The next books we are focusing on for RST conversion are the Install
Guide, Cloud Admin Guide, HA Guide, and the Security Guide. If you would
like to assist, please get in touch with the appropriate speciality team:

* Install Guide:
** Contact Karin Levenstein <karin.levenstein at rackspace.com>
** Spec: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/183138/
** Watch this space:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Installation_Guide_Migration

* Cloud Admin Guide:
** Contact Brian Moss <kallimachos at gmail.com> & Joseph Robinson
<joseph.r.email at gmail.com>
** Blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/reorganise-user-guides
** Sign up to help out here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration

* HA Guide
** Contact Meg McRoberts <dreidellhasa at yahoo.com> or Matt Griffin
<me at mattgriffin.com>
** Blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/improve-ha-guide

* Security Guide
** Contact Nathaniel Dillon <nathaniel.dillon at hp.com>
** Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1463111
** Blueprint+Spec: TBD

For books that are now being converted, don't forget that any change you
make to the XML must also be made to the RST version until conversion is
complete. Our lovely team of cores will be keeping an eye out to make
sure loose changes to XML don't pass the gate, but try to help them out
by pointing out both patches in your reviews.

== Docs Tools ==

Andreas will shortly be updating openstack-docs-tools to 0.29.

== Docs Liaisons ==

Don't forget that we have subject matter experts to help you with
documentation questions that you might have. As you're working on bugs,
feel free to give them a quick ping or an email to ask questions. They
promise not to laugh at you!

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CrossProjectLiaisons#Documentation

== i18n Team ==

At Summit, I spent a lot of time with Ying Chun Guo (Daisy) from the
translation team, to try and come up with a way we can make sure our
teams are working together better. To that end, we've got a few ideas
we're going to be implementing over the next few weeks. First of all,
this newsletter now goes direct to the the translation mailing list, as
well the dev and doc lists (hi translators!). Secondly, Daisy is going
to poll her team to identify an i18n documentation liaison, who will be
the go-to person for all questions about translation for docs. The other
thing we're going to do is to make sure we're helping the i18n team to
keep their status page up to date:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/I18nTeam/docs-translation#Document_categorize
If you're working on a doc that is translated, please check that table
and make sure the translation team know what you're up to! This will
help prevent needless effort on their part, which benefits us all in the
end.

== Doc team meeting ==

The US meeting was held this week, see the minutes here to catch up:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2015-06-17

Apologies for the timing confusion on that one, it seems as though
daylight savings changes took us by surprise. For now, the meeting will
remain at 1400UTC. If you would prefer it to be at a different time,
bring it up on the mailing list, or in the next US meeting.

Next meetings are:
APAC: Wednesday 24 June, 00:30:00 UTC
US: Wednesday 1 July, 14:00:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

== Spotlight bugs for this week ==

Of the three bugs we spotlighted last week, one of them got marked as
invalid (thanks Tom!), and another is in progress with SME assistance
(thanks Olga!). That's great! Here's another three dusty old bugs that
could use a polish up:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1330005 Glance image
properties and values (low hanging fruit)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1394397 Nova
notification_driver

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1205402 iPXE ISO boot
support

- --

Remember, if you have content you would like to add to this newsletter,
or you would like to be added to the distribution list, please email me
directly at openstack at lanabrindley.com, or visit:
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Documentation/WhatsUpDoc

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana