[Openstack-i18n] What's Up, Doc? 31 July 2015

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Jul 31 07:32:51 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

This week, like last, was all about the RST conversion. With just a 48
hour long sprint, the Install Guide is almost complete! A hearty
congratulations to everyone who contributed. One of the interesting
things about doing all these conversions is the amount of conversation
it has started about our conventions, and I'm pleased to see that we're
really starting to get a feel for how RST can work for us, and what we
can demand of it. It's also great to see some related changes to the
sphinx theme that handles how we display our shiny RST books.

== Progress towards Liberty ==

75 days to go!

* RST conversion:
** Install Guide: Conversion is nearly done, sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Installation_Guide_Migration
** Cloud Admin Guide: is nearly done. Sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration
** HA Guide: is also nearly done. Get in touch with Meg or Matt:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HA_Guide_Update
** Security Guide: Conversion is now underway, sign up here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/sec-guide-rst

* User Guides information architecture overhaul
** Waiting on the RST conversion of the Cloud Admin Guide to be complete

* Greater focus on helping out devs with docs in their repo
** Work has stalled on the Ironic docs, we need to pick this up again.
Contact me if you want to know more, or are willing to help out.

* Improve how we communicate with and support our corporate contributors
** I have been brainstorming ideas with Foundation, watch this space!

* Improve communication with Docs Liaisons
** I'm very pleased to see liaisons getting more involved in our bugs
and reviews. Keep up the good work!

* Clearing out old bugs
** Thanks to Brian for picking up one of the spotlight bugs from last
week. Three new bugs to look at this week.

== RST Migration ==

The next books we are focusing on for RST conversion are the Install
Guide, Cloud Admin Guide, HA Guide, and the Security Guide. If you would
like to assist, please get in touch with the appropriate speciality team:

* Install Guide:
** Contact Karin Levenstein <karin.levenstein at rackspace.com>
** Sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Installation_Guide_Migration

* Cloud Admin Guide:
** Contact Brian Moss <kallimachos at gmail.com> & Joseph Robinson
<joseph.r.email at gmail.com>
** Sign up to help out here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration

* HA Guide
** Contact Meg McRoberts <dreidellhasa at yahoo.com> or Matt Griffin
<me at mattgriffin.com>
** Blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/improve-ha-guide

* Security Guide
** Contact Nathaniel Dillon <nathaniel.dillon at hp.com>
** Info: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/sec-guide-rst

For books that are now being converted, don't forget that any change you
make to the XML must also be made to the RST version until conversion is
complete. Our lovely team of cores will be keeping an eye out to make
sure loose changes to XML don't pass the gate, but try to help them out
by pointing out both patches in your reviews.

== Docs Tools ==

Thanks to Dave for picking up a bug this week and adding a navigation
bar to the sidepane of the docs theme for our RST books. We should be
releasing an updated docs theme shortly so you can play with this new
functionality. In the meantime, if you have suggestions for the docs
theme, raise the issue on the docs mailing list, or go right ahead and
create a bug for it.

== APAC Docs Swarm ==

The APAC team have been working on holding another doc swarm, this time
working on the Architecture Design Guide. It's to be held at the Red Hat
office in Brisbane, on 13-14 August. Check out
http://openstack-swarm.rhcloud.com/ for all the info.

== Doc team meeting ==

The US meeting got cancelled this week.

The next meetings are:
APAC: Wednesday 5 August, 00:30:00 UTC
US: Wednesday 12 August, 14:00:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

== Spotlight bugs for this week ==

Three new spotlight bugs for you to sink your teeth into:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1257018 VPNaaS isn't
documented in cloud admin

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1257656 VMware: add
support for VM diagnostics

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1261969 Document nova
server package

- --

Remember, if you have content you would like to add to this newsletter,
or you would like to be added to the distribution list, please email me
directly at openstack at lanabrindley.com, or visit:
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Documentation/WhatsUpDoc

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana