[Openstack-i18n] What's Up, Doc? 24 July 2015

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Jul 24 03:03:50 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

Wow! What a great week for RST conversion patches! As I write this,
there are only a handful of outstanding sections on the Cloud Admin and
HA Guides, and well over 40 sections have now been converted on the
Install Guide, with the conversion sprint running for another twelve
hours or so. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to grab a
section and do a conversion, and to all those people who have given
their +1 to a patch. I can't wait to see all our shiny new books up on
docs.openstack.org :)

== Progress towards Liberty ==

* RST conversion:
** Install Guide: Conversion is now underway, sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Installation_Guide_Migration
** Cloud Admin Guide: is nearly done. Sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration
** HA Guide: is also nearly done. Get in touch with Meg or Matt:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HA_Guide_Update
** Security Guide: Conversion is now underway, sign up here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/sec-guide-rst

* User Guides information architecture overhaul
** Waiting on the RST conversion of the Cloud Admin Guide to be complete

* Greater focus on helping out devs with docs in their repo
** Work has stalled on the Ironic docs, we need to pick this up again.
Contact me if you want to know more, or are willing to help out.

* Improve how we communicate with and support our corporate contributors
** I have been brainstorming ideas with Foundation, watch this space!

* Improve communication with Docs Liaisons
** I'm very pleased to see liaisons getting more involved in our bugs
and reviews. Keep up the good work!

* Clearing out old bugs
** Sadly, no progress on the spotlight bugs from last week. I'll hold
them over for another week, so now is your chance to jump in  and grab them!

== RST Migration ==

The next books we are focusing on for RST conversion are the Install
Guide, Cloud Admin Guide, HA Guide, and the Security Guide. If you would
like to assist, please get in touch with the appropriate speciality team:

* Install Guide:
** Contact Karin Levenstein <karin.levenstein at rackspace.com>
** Sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Installation_Guide_Migration
** The sprint on this book has been a major success, and there's still
about twelve hours left until it wraps up at 1500 UTC (24 July). Info
and sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/VirtualSprints#Installation_guide_conversion_from_DocBook_to_RST

* Cloud Admin Guide:
** Contact Brian Moss <kallimachos at gmail.com> & Joseph Robinson
<joseph.r.email at gmail.com>
** Sign up to help out here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration

* HA Guide
** Contact Meg McRoberts <dreidellhasa at yahoo.com> or Matt Griffin
<me at mattgriffin.com>
** Blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/improve-ha-guide

* Security Guide
** Contact Nathaniel Dillon <nathaniel.dillon at hp.com>
** Info: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/sec-guide-rst

For books that are now being converted, don't forget that any change you
make to the XML must also be made to the RST version until conversion is
complete. Our lovely team of cores will be keeping an eye out to make
sure loose changes to XML don't pass the gate, but try to help them out
by pointing out both patches in your reviews.

== HA Guide Works ==

With the RST conversion on the HA Guide wrapping up, the HA Guide
speciality team are looking for people to help out with the
reorganisation and writing the new content. They have quite a few bugs
to get through, and they need your help! Contact Matt Griffin, or any
other member of the HA Guide Speciality Team, or join their weekly IRC
meeting. Details here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HA_Guide_Update

== Docs Tools ==

While they're not strictly docs tools, I wanted to mention review
dashboards here today. Did you know that we maintain a list of custom
OpenStack review dashboards for you to use? They're customised to show
only the reviews you care about, which can save you a lot of time and
needless clicking. All you need to do is pick the dashboard you want to
use, copy the URL, and save it to your bookmarks. Anne has just updated
the Docs Review Inbox dashboard to include DocImpact reviews, so it's
worth checking out:
http://ghostcloud.net/openstack_gerrit_dashboards/dashboard_doc-program.html
You can see the full list here:
http://ghostcloud.net/openstack_gerrit_dashboards/

== APAC Docs Swarm ==

The APAC team have been working on holding another doc swarm, this time
working on the Architecture Design Guide. It's to be held at the Red Hat
office in Brisbane, on 13-14 August. Check out
http://openstack-swarm.rhcloud.com/ for all the info.

== Doc team meeting ==

The APAC docs meeting was held this week, catch up on the minutes here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2015-07-22

The next meetings are:
US: Wednesday 29 July, 14:00:00 UTC
APAC: Wednesday 5 August, 00:30:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

== Spotlight bugs for this week ==

Giving these three poor old bugs some extra oxygen:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1241116 Using policies
for protected properties

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1241179 Add
notifications for groups and roles

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1251060 Xenapi: Allow
windows builds with xentools 6.1 and 6.2

- --

Remember, if you have content you would like to add to this newsletter,
or you would like to be added to the distribution list, please email me
directly at openstack at lanabrindley.com, or visit:
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Documentation/WhatsUpDoc

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana