[Openstack-i18n] OpenStack interface in Indian languages

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Thu Feb 26 13:23:21 UTC 2015

Thanks for the rapid reply!

As you're probably aware, we use Transifex to manage translation for
OpenStack.

Source strings are automatically uploaded to Transifex when the code
changes, and new Translated strings are automatically downloaded to the
code repository when they are updated on Transifex.

For the Horizon dashboard, which is the primary user interface
translation, you can see all languages and their progress at:

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/horizon

Here is the status for each Indian language at present. For
convenvenience I'll divide them into 3 types:

A) Some translations exist:
Hindi - 84% - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/I18nTeam/hi
Nepali - 10% - Surit Aryal <surit.killer at gmail.com>
Punjabi - 7% - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/I18nTeam/pa_IN
Telugu - 4% - Thirunahari Dyvik Chenna <dyvik100 at gmail.com>
Marathi - 1% - Swapnil S Kulkarni <coolsvap at gmail.com>
Oriya - 1%

As these teams are somewhat active, consider contacting the organisers
using the above details to let them know your intentions. Ask them
whether they'd consider sharing coordination duties. They'll probably
agree, so when that happens, let us know and we can assign the
coordinator role. You will likely also want to update the wiki page:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/I18nTeam#Local_Translation_Teams

B) Team exists on Transifex, but no translations so far:
Bengali
Kannada
Malayalam
Tamil
Urdu

As these are not active, get the person you want to be the coordinator
for join the language on https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/openstack/
then effectively follow this process:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/I18nTeam/CreateLocalTeam - you won't
need to add the language

C) Not currently translated:
Assamese
Bodo
Dogri
Gujarati
Kashmiri
Konkani
Maithili
Manipuri
Sanskrit
Santali
Sindhi

As these are not active, get the person you want to be the coordinator
for each language and follow this process:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/I18nTeam/CreateLocalTeam - you will need
to click "Add Language"

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Now, in terms of practical translation aspects, I am going to assume
that you will first want to work on the Horizon Dashboard, as it is the
highest translation priority and most visible/rewarding component to do.
There are 30 other OpenStack projects that are translated, including
documentation, but for simplicities sake I'm going to ignore them for now :)

So, if we click through to Hindi from our earlier 'Horizon' page, we get:

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/horizon/language/hi/

On here the first very important thing is that there are a number of
resources. They include the version of the release: Icehouse, Juno, Kilo
etc. There are three different resources under Kilo ("Horizon
Translations, OpenStack Dashboard Translations and Java Script
Translations") and each of these need to be translated for the whole
dashboard to be complete.

My recommendation would be to focus only Kilo resources and ignore the
Icehouse/Juno resources. Kilo is the next release that will be
announced, on April 30th 2015.

If you are logged in to Transifex as a member of the Hindi translation
team, clicking on "Kilo - OpenStack Dashboard Translations" will bring
up a window where you can start translating.

Here, you have two options.

1. Click "Translate Now" and use the web interface (your translations
will go directly into transifex)

2. Click "Download for Use" and use the PoT file directly (you will need
to upload the file once it is translated).

Unless you already are familiar with using PoT files, or have an
unreliable internet connection, I would recommend using the Transifex
web interface. It has a few strong advantages:
* multiple translators can work at the same time
* strings will be automatically saved in transifex, no upload step
* in-built translation memory and glossary

I hope this has answered some of your questions! Please have a play
around on Transifex and see what you think. The interface is fairly
intuitive, but can occasionally be confusing.

We're here for questions as required! Looking forward very much to
working together.

Regards,

Tom