[Openstack-i18n] [OpenStack-docs] Translating RST source with Sphinx builds

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Tue Feb 3 20:02:09 UTC 2015

On 02/03/2015 03:22 PM, Ying Chun Guo wrote:
> Anne,
>
> I would take a look at this new format, and see how it could fit to our
> translation process.

Daisy,

I did a little playing around and want to share what I did:

1) To build the pot files:

$ sphinx-build -b gettext doc/playground-user-guide/source/
doc/playground-user-guide/locale/

This creates a file per directory or top-level file.

2) so, next i run "msgcat *.pot > playground-user-guide.pot" to create a
single pot file

3) I would upload the pot file

4) We can download it again

5) And then it's running msgmerge to merge the content back to the
multiple files.

We really should have only one file per book - otherwise we get
duplicated "index.pot" files from each book and have multiple books in a
repo.

I haven't had time to test all of this together properly and then create
some simple script. If you can tell me how to do it properly, I can help
with enhancing the infra scripts so that this is done automatically -
but I'm also happy to review any patches and answer questions ;)

Thanks
Andreas
   GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
       Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)