[Openstack-i18n] Final plans before translations switch to Zanata

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu Aug 27 17:48:25 UTC 2015

On 08/27/2015 06:10 PM, Elizabeth K. Joseph wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:17 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
>> Could we also revise languages and language codes?
>>
>> I think we should prefer Country-independent languages over country ones.
>>
>> So, we should prefer German ("de") over German in Germany ("de_DE") and
>> German in Austria ("de_AT").
>>
>> In case where we have country specific ones - like pl_PL -, can we rename
>> them to country independent ones - like pl?
>>
>> When asking for new languages, we should then get the independent one in
>> first and only after consolidation with the existing team create a specific
>> one.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I can't directly speak to the conversation that led to this list, but
> StevenK and Daisy came up with the following list, which seems to go
> by what you suggest:
>
> ar
> as
> bg-BG

Rename to bg?

> bn-IN

Rename to bn?

> brx
> ca
> cs
> de
> el
> en-AU
> en-GB
> es
> es-MX
> fi-FI

Rename to fi?

> fil
> fr
> gu
> he
> hi
> hu
> id
> it
> ja
> ka-GE

Rename to ka?

> kn
> ko-KR

Can we rename to ko, please?

> kok
> ks
> mai
> mni
> mr
> ne
> nl-NL

Rename to nl?

> pa-IN

Rename to pa?

> pl-PL

Can we rename the above to pl, please?

> pt
> pt-BR
> ru
> sl-SI

Rename to sl?

> sr
> ta
> te-IN

Rename to te?

> tr-TR

Rename to tr?

> ur
> vi-VN

Rename to vi?

> zh-CN
> zh-TW
>
> Copied from this pastebin that StevenK shared last night, in case it
> expires: http://paste.openstack.org/show/429137/

Background: We get *lots* of request on transifex for new languages, for
example today for pl. There's right now no reason to have both pl and
pl-PL. I'd like us to standardize here...

Andreas
        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)