[Openstack-i18n] Switch to itstool for docs translation?

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu May 15 11:02:57 UTC 2014

I discussed this a bit with Daisy and Akihiro at the summit and both
need some more investigation on this. Let me re-share some pointers for
all here. I suggest that some of you translators have a look at patch
90766 and this thread and figure out whether there are any problems.

This move to itstools is a move to newer and maintained tools that will
simplify our live on the tools side. It only affects docs translation -
the manuals - and not the core projects. So, this is related to all the
resources you find on transifex under openstack-manuals.

I'd like to see this happen because of the improvements it brings, so
please evaluate it and speak up if you see problems - a "go ahead" would
be also appreciated.

Note that Daisy needs to approve the blue print before this will go in.

Patch set 1 of patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/90766/ shows the
changes to the locale files, for example:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/90766/1/doc/user-guide-admin/locale/en_AU.po

These patches show what can be done with the tools - marking some
sections as non-translatable (and thus not show up in transifex) sounds
like a great idea to me:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/91873/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/91872/

The conversation of the code is shown here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/91869/
Especially this patch is interesting, it shows how easy it is to filter
out what gets translated and what not:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/91869/3/os_doc_tools/resources/openstack.its

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/itstool-for-docs

Full specification:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Translation#ItsTool_Conversion

Shaun, for using itstool on the infra machines, we really need to have
it on pypi. Can you make this happen, please?

Also, please add to the commit message of each of your patches:
blueprint itstool-for-docs

Thanks,
Andreas