[Openstack-i18n] Horizon translations - and update of strings

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Mar 24 09:07:03 UTC 2014

On 03/24/2014 09:47 AM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>> As long as there is no update in POT file, there is no need to update PO files
>>> based on PO file. When PO file is uploaded to Transifex, Transifex merges
>>> translation data with upload PO file.
>>> In my understanding, new POT files are uploaded by upstream_translation post job
>>> and they are kept up-to-date, so there is no need to update PO files in
>>> propose_translation job.
>>>
>>> Precisely speaking, ./run_tests.sh --makemessages for specific language
>>> does the same job for update_catalogs for other projects.
>>> Horizon uses Django framework and does not use babel to manage PO/POT files.
>>> This is the reason Horizon's POT files don't have .pot suffix.
>>>
>>> I think update_catalogs in other projects propose_translation job tries to
>>> keep POT and PO consistent, but it brings no additional values because
>>> if there is new strings in POT there is no translation for new strings even if
>>> update_catalog is done and gettext mechanism works well even if there
>>> is a inconsistent points between PO and POT.
>>
>> I have one use case here: Some translators - like you and Sascha - do
>> the translations without using the transifex web client locally.
>
> I don't usually use local files for translations when Transifex is used,
> but it is a good assumption.
>
>> Now, you cannot use the local Japanese or German file since it contains
>> outdated strings, you need to run msgmerge locally to update the file.
>> Once the translator updates the file, msgmerge is called on the server
>> and the next download will get a new version with the updated strings.
>
> I am not sure about the relation between the first sentence and the second.

It was written before my first coffee - sorry ;(

Let's rewrite the second one as:

On the other hand, once a translator updates a file, msgmerge is called
on the server and the next download will get a new version with the
updated content.

> Is POT file updated between the first and the second sentences?

No.

> If there is no translation update on the server side, it works as expected.
> Note that Transifex does not merge translations on Transifex
> and uploaded translations.

>> Right now a "tx pull -a" will not download merged language pot files -
>> see for example https://review.openstack.org/#/c/82434/ where
>> doc/install-guide/locale/install-guide.pot is updated but not any of the
>> po files.
>
> Downloaded translations are already synced with POT file
> when POT file is uploaded to the server.
>
> In case of propose_translations_manuals,
> 1. POT is updated (generatepot)
> 2. POT is pushed to Transifex if there are any update.
>    (At this point, translations on Transifex is "msgmege"d with the uploaded POT
>    and translaitons becomes up-to-date.)
> 3. "tx pull -a" retrieves all up-to-date translations.
> 4 Finally "git review" if required
>
> No translations will be lost in this flow and it looks good.
> The flow in the original propose_translation_horizon in your review is
> different.
> tx pull -> generatepot -> msgmerge -> tx push translations
> This is the reason I wrote it may lose translations.
>
> On the other hand, there is no need in propose_translation_XXX.sh.
> If there are new or changed strings in POT file in step 2 above,
> we don't have translations for such strings in step 3.
> Even if POT and PO files are not synced, we will also get the same results
> (no translations for new or changed strings).
> This is the reason I wrote step 2 above is necessarily required in
> propose_translation script.
> Does it make sense?

Yes, makes sense - and in that case all our scripts are wrong. Let me
double check this later and document this.

>> 1) Is the above correct?
>> 2) Is that a use case we care about? Akihiro, Sascha, how is your
>> workflow? Could you document it in the wiki, I don't see that covered...
>
> My use case to use "tx pull" locally is just to check translations
> with some conversion (for manuals) or programs like horizon.
> I don't think I am doing special things.
> I don't usually use local files for translations if Transifex is used.
>
> I am not sure I answer what you ask.

It helps, thanks!

>>> Yes, as Lukasz commented.
>>
>> I don't know why Clark did the upload when writing the initial script.
>> Clark, do you remember?
>>
>> But we need to *update* it locally so that it can get committed to git
>> (the update script does not handle updating of git) - just the upload
>> looks unnecessary.
>
> As I wrote above, small out-of-sync between POT and PO files and
> synced PO file with untranslated strings have no difference as a result.
>
> I hope I answered your question.

Thanks,
Andreas