[Openstack-i18n] What's up, I18n team

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Wed Jan 29 08:46:48 UTC 2014

Recently, below items are ongoing and I'd like to have you updated.

* Installation guide translation

Several translation teams are working on its translation.
The Japanese translation is completed finished.
Korean and German have more than 50% completed.
Russian, Chinese and Portuguese have certain progress.
Many thanks for the excellent work of these teams.

Feb. 28 is a good date to close this translation work.
After that, we will start the messages translation.
If you want the installation guide in your own language to be published in
Icehouse cycle,
please try your best to catch the date.

* Scripts and automation jobs to publish translated documents

The script to publish Japanese operations guide is running well now:
https://jenkins02.openstack.org/job/openstack-operations-guide-ja/
The link to Japanese operations guide which is generated by a Jenkins job
is:
http://docs.openstack.org/ja/trunk/openstack-ops/
Many thanks to Tom Fifield 's work.

The resource of openstack-ops in Transifex is updated to date recently.
There are a few changes.
There come a few strings remained untranslated in Japanese translation of
openstack-ops.
I see some English strings remained in the generated Japanese operation
guide.
Japanese team please take a look at it.

* Horizon translation resources in Transifex

There are two categories in Horizon in Transifex now.
The "havana-stable" category contains the translation resources for
havana-stable release.
The "main" category contains the translation resources for the current main
branch,
which will be released in Icehouse version.
I have synchronized the resources under "main" category manually with git
repository.
At the same time, I'm working on the scripts to automatic the
synchronization
https://review.openstack.org/68042

If you want, you could start Horizon translations from now.
Then you will have an ease time in March after string freeze date (on March
6th).

* An enhance to Horizon I18n

Now some table columns in Horizon are not able to translated.
See the bug description: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1224329
Peng Wu is working on it. He has proposed a fix:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/68868/
People who are interested in Horizon can take a look at it.

* Add support for translating log levels separately

Doug Hellmann from Oslo team is working on it.
When this function is enabled, we are able to separate log messages from
the big single
message resource file.
Then we can focus on the user facing messages translation and set the log
message
translation to low priority.

The discussion thread in dev ML is:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-January/025572.html
The patch is under construction now:
https://review.openstack.org/65518
People who has interests could join the discussion.

Things that we will work on in Feb are:
* Finish installation guide translations.
* Write scripts and create jobs to publish these installation guides in
different languages.
* Set up Horizon messages translation environment in Transifex

Our next IRC meeting is on Feb 6th.
If you have questions/suggestions to the above items, or you want to help
on these things,
send email to me, or talk to me in the next IRC meeting.

Happy Chinese New Year!

Thanks and regards