[Openstack-i18n] Horizon patch with translation impact (havana)

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 04:50:07 UTC 2014

Hi,

I think we need to consider two things:
(a) maintenance policy of stable release translations
(b) how to automate the process

Regarding (a), in my understanding, we already have a consensus to maintain
translation up-to-date though it is not well-documented so far.
Daisy renamed Transifex horizon resources to *-havana to allow this.
>From this point of view, there is no reason to give -1/-2 to the
proposed patch from Julie.

Regarding (b), we should move to the automated process as Daisy wrote and
I wrote about it several times :-)
We need a volunteer to work on it. This is just a topic of the process.

> I think, it's no question for Horizon to use #1 to update Transifex
> resources automatically.

Agree in general.

Before automating the process, we need to discuss how to deal with the switch
from master to milestone-proposed just before the release.
Once RC1 is shipped, master branch is open to development of the next release
but translations teams still want to work on the release.

> How about #2 ?
> I remember originally Horizon team disabled automatics downloading because
> messy characters in po.en would cause broken in Horizon test.
> Now this issue has been resolved.

Yes. It was really an old topic and fixed. It was because English PO
file has Georgian characters
and the unit tests failed.  Horizon no longer has English PO files
since it is the source language
and the problem never happens now.

> So I wonder if Horizon would like to adopt #2 to enable the automatics
> translation downloading now.

For master branch, the automated translation imports works to me.
How about stable branch and milestone-proposed?

For stable branch, we need to import well-reviewed translations.
How can we achieve this with an automated process?
I think this is the reason that automated process of translation imports
is not enabled by default now.

For milestone-proposed, the meaning of the branch changes depending on
the phase,
I think it is not easy to make the process automated.