[Openstack-i18n] Collecting requirements to translation tools

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Oct 24 22:48:40 UTC 2013

On 10/17/2013 04:27 PM, Ying Chun Guo wrote:
> I added 1 more requirement: Integration with OpenID.
> I don't want our translators to bother another user account for the
> translation.

I added another set of criteria for the evaluation. Mainly I'm focusing
on finding out more about the solidity of the communities developing the
software. The criteria I've added are simplified sets from research
financed a few years ago by the European Commission to improve
evaluation of open source software. Mostly these are qualitative data
points.

Code maturity (age of the code)
Code stability (unstable, stable but old, stable and maintained)
Available case studies (is anybody talking about how they use it?)
Community management style (tech governance)
Development Team size (ohloh and github stats)
Training available? (for devs, users, none)
Documentation (how wide is the documentation)
QA process (existing/not, supported by tools)
QA tools (range from not used - only gated commits)
Code comments (poorly/well commented code, taken from Ohloh)
Bugs/Pull request reactivity (poor, formalized but not reactive, reactive)
Roadmap (range from not existing to detailed)
Technical Support (commercial, community, both)

and also added one technical requirement:

Work offline

Let's keep adding details to the spreadsheet, testing things and get to
Hong Kong with good information to make a decision for the future of the
i18n amazing team!

/stef