[Openstack-i18n] Collecting requirements to translation tools

Carlos Munoz camunoz at redhat.com
Thu Oct 17 23:40:59 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Parag just made me aware of this thread. I am the Team Supervisor for
the Zanata project and just wanted to answer any questions you may have
on the system.

 From what I read on the thread, below are the points you are looking
for before choosing a system, so let me make a brief note about each of
them.

* Cross-project translation teams

Zanata fully supports this. Translation teams are able to translate all
projects to their assigned languages.

* Cross-project translation memory

Supported as well. Translators will be able to see the origin of a TM
result.

* Good in-browser translation interface

Zanata has a rich translation editor that runs in the browser and
supports an extensive set of keyboard shortcuts to make the process as
quick as possible.

* Good in-browser review interface

We just introduced the review process into our latest version of Zanata,
and are still making changes to make it as useful as possible. The
review process happens in our translation editor as well, with
'Reviewers' being able to see an extended set of controls to comment,
approve or reject translations.

* Easy import/export of translation files

Zanata has a maven, and a command line client to import and export
translation files.

* Support for all common translation formats

Zanata supports PO, properties, and xliff. Other formats that are in
experimental mode at the moment include OpenOffice, IDML, .txt, and a
few others.

* Git/GitHub Integration

Zanta has a REST API which makes it very easy to integrate. If you look
at our GitHub page, we have a small script that we are using to
synchronize Git repositories with Zanata at the moment. It's on an early
stage at the moment, and it's only a temporary solution as we are
working on bringing a more robust solution to this requirement.

* Hooks for CI infrastructure

Not sure what you mean here.

* Management workflows that fit OpenStack process

We'll have to take a look at what those are.

* Self-hosted

We currently have a public instance available to everyone at
http://zanata.org, but you are always welcome to donwload Zanata and
start it up on your own infrastructure.

* Proven success with large projects

Zanata is currently used to translate projects like JBoss AS, RHEL,
RHEVM, Ovirt, and countless other large projects.

* API to gather statistics about translators

Not yet. Zanata has the information, but it is just not exposed at the
moment.

* Easily see the translating context, i.g. the paragraph or section that
   contains the translation string.

* Cross-project glossary and dictionary

Zanata supports a global glossary, but not a dictionary.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

Regards,

--
Carlos A. Munoz
Software Engineering Supervisor