[openstack-hpc] Fwd: Scheduler Bypass

Phab Lucky phab.lucky at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 01:40:40 UTC 2014

 Hi, all.

I'm new to OpenStack, so I apologize in advance if my question lacks
relevance or sense.

We are trying to build a cluster orchestrator for Big Data processing and
one of the key requirements is the ability to place each computing task in
each physical server. We have been trying to leverage this development with
OpenStack, but, as far as I can see by the on-line documentation, the Nova
interface does not allow users to specify the physical location (host)
where VMs (servers) are created. Instead, this task is performed by the
Scheduler, which has its own algorithms and policies.

Even though we can try to customize the Scheduler, I was wondering if I
could simply bypass it and tell Nova to create a VM on host X. I know this
sounds like bad design, as we are violating the location transparency that
OpenStack attempts to deliver, but this seems to me the only way to bring
the computation to where the data is.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot.

Phab