[OpenStack-docs] [openstack-doc] ToC arrangement

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Tue Mar 28 11:37:26 UTC 2017

Alexandra Settle <a.settle at outlook.com> wrote:
>Hey team,
>
>Is there any historical reason why we separate our index pages into Content, Appendix, Glossary, Search rather than having one ToC? For example: https://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide/

I have no idea, but ...

>Darren Chan proposed an Arch Guide patch (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/450084/) where a discussion was brought up about it.
>
>Quoting Darren, “Because visually, it looks terrible. Why can't we integrate those sections in one toctree?”
>
>I completely agree. But if there’s a reason we arranged it as such, would be really interested to know!

I agree it doesn't look great.

I assume you're considering flattening one level during the
rearrangement, so that Appendix, Glossary etc. become chapters which
are siblings of the normal content chapters?  That makes sense to me.
Otherwise the main content chapters of a guide would all be nested
under a top-level "Contents" item, which would also look bad.